Tuesday, November 27, 2012


It doesn't look that bad outside of the Mahopac Man Cave (RA Photo)

Tonight's Greenwich/Xavier state quarterfinal football game has been postponed to tomorrow night.  Allow me to show you the forecast for the Middletown, CT area (where Xaiver is located), starting with today (courtesy of Weather Underground):

Overcast with snow, then snow and rain in the afternoon. High of 39F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of snow 80% with accumulations up to 1 in. possible.

OK, one inch.  And tonight (game time was 6:30)?

Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow and rain, then a chance of snow after midnight. Low of 27F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of snow 80% with accumulations up to 1 in. possible.
I see.  So, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's ONE TO TWO INCHES, correct?  I mean, my math is good, but you know, the big numbers get me.

When I saw the forecast, silly ol' me, I figured Greenwich and Xavier would soldier on.  It's football!  In our online chat that the Playmakers and I have, Chris Erway questioned if the game would be postponed.  I'll be honest. I thought the question was ludicrous.  I even think CJ did as well, given he is a former Brien McMahon Senator captain.  He was a scholar athlete.  The dude is smart.

Then Paul Silverfarb began texting me.  Weston/Ellington-Somer had postponed...Newtown/Norwich Free Academy...the cancellations kept coming.  But damn it all, Staples/West Haven was staying true!  What's a little snow, and besides, the shoreline was just supposed to get rain.  It's football, and we play on in bad weather!

The Playmakers and I kept our collective fingers crossed.  Then Paul tweeted the sorry news that the game had been postponed. 

I tweeted "What a joke."

Hey, I get it.  Let's be cautious.  Let's play tomorrow.  Back the semis to Sunday.  But...as of this writing, not everyone is going along with postponing tonight (again, Staples/West Haven).  I just wonder about all this change when we are talking about one to two inches.  But I get the safety issue - 100%.  And I also get the fact that Ryan DeMaria, Max Barefoot and I would be driving on the hills of Interstate 84, traversing through Waterbury and Meriden on our way to Middletown.  There's an inherent risk.

Will the CIAC step in and force the postponement of the remaining games (there are six at this point)?

I've got another day to prepare.  I'll just move my parent-teacher conference again.  Reschedule dinner with my son.  Another day to wait for my new briefcase to show up from LL Bean.

So it goes.

All good.  Be safe.

See you tomorrow.

No comments: