Tuesday, October 02, 2012

October Begins and We're Off the Bench

Yes, October.  Time to shine in baseball.  I'm sure you saw MLB is using a guy named Springsteen for their postseason commercials?  Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.


Once again, the Yankees will be a part of the party.  Once again, they will go home without the big prize.  I'm not sure, but I feel like this is the first Yankees team that I just can't seem to embrace.  Of course I'm rooting, and rooting hard, but something is missing.  In the end, good pitching will shut down the Bombers' big bats.  Home runs are great during the regular season, but manufacturing runs offensively is a big part of winning in the postseason.  And...not doing everything by the book.

Thankfully the real refs are back in football.  Of course, within a few hours, we were all cursing them again.  Life as it should be.  I'll spare you my Roger Goodell rants, except to say that those who want to praise him for getting a deal done with the stripes should also criticize him for letting it go on too long.  Be consistent.

Jack White is a pretty brilliant musician.  That does not allow him to be an ass.  My friend Lisa Picc was at White's show - or lack thereof - the other night at Radio City Music Hall.  She filed this post.

Elsewhere...

The election is over, right?  No? DAMN!

Trouble with the Curve is a fine baseball movie, featuring decent performances from Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams and Justin Timberlake.  Is it among the baseball movies ever?  No.  Is it basically that Clint's character from Gran Torino, Walt Kowalski, has come back to life as a baseball scout?  Yes!  It works.  Clint isn't entirely believable as a baseball scout, but I thought the movie was a nice way to spend a night out.  It's predictable, but that's OK with me.

I picked the Cowboys to beat the Bears last night.  I was wrong.  Oh well.  Sometimes you win when you lose.

Once again, I attended "The Big E" fair in West Springfield, MA.  I won't lie and say it was the best one I've ever been to.  Something seemed off about it, but as it has been for roughly 17 or 18 years (give or take), I intend to go back next year.  I like the tradition of it.  That's just me.

Anytime the hockey gods would like to get their heads out of their collective arses would be just fine with me.  The sports world is doing a collective yawn towards them and they better come back for the good of their game.

The Ryder Cup exhausted me.  Questionable placement of players and so on.  That one hurt.

My Twitter feed is there on the right.  Lately I have been going nuts on Twitter; enjoying doing the random posts and retweets and such.  Make sure to follow me.

Only one football broadcast this weekend: Friday at Cardinal Stadium for Trumbull at Greenwich.  Pregame coverage begins at 6:40.  We might finally have our full team with us - if Chris Kaelin can make it.  But there are also priorities to consider.

Amazing that it took to October to have the first home game.  But it is...you know..what it is.

No comments: