Thursday, June 01, 2023

I'm Tired (Huh? Anyone?)

 

(Screenshot via Google Streetview)

Greetings from Mavis Discount Tire in Riverside, CT.

Yes, friends, we're finally getting the tires and alignment resolved. It took too long to do so but we're here and we'll be back on the road later today with peace of mind.

I hated having any lack of confidence on the road and the last thing I wanted to feel like was a danger to anyone. Driving to Boomslang basketball in Newtown that one rainy weekend early in May was too white-knuckle for my taste.

If you recall, it reached a point where Sean had me take his car. I won't be posting about it in triplicate to make you think my son is Jesus or whatever but it was a good gesture.

Anyway, I'll be glad when this is over.

Oh, and happy June. I know this is the beginning of Pride Month and my simple message (I know, nobody asked) is that, as with anything, love is love and you're all welcome at this party. We're such a sad, divided society. 

I like tolerance and understanding. Silly, I know.

Anyway, be happy and be free. And know you have friends.

*****

So it's been some eight hours since I wrote that first part of the post. Not long after I finished that segment I talked to a friend on the phone for a few minutes before I was called back to the counter to pay for the tires.

I never -- literally, never -- expected to be home that soon. I also came in well under the price I expected to pay.

I can make myself crazy trying to build up the energy to go do things like getting tires. I was sitting at home when I reminded myself that today was the day.

I've had a few bad experiences to be sure. I guess I'll just go ahead and say the last time I went to Mavis Tires -- years ago now -- I walked away with an obscene bill and a lost day of work. So my expectations were actually exceeded today and, let's face it, when you do that, you earn a customer.

The alignment had been out of whack since, well, since. I often felt like the car wiggled and slipped around too much during rain storms. I remember a heavy North Carolina rain pushing me off of I-95 a few years back. I'm hopeful with today's efforts that won't be a problem.

In fact, I have a small road trip next week.

I've been asked to call two boys lacrosse state championship games and four, yes, four baseball state championship games in New Jersey.

Oh, and I have to do roughly a two-hour road trip. 

And I have to stay over.

And I have to eat a lot of Wawa.

OK, that last part isn't necessarily true but I'll take it.

I thought I had become the forgotten "voice" but it feels good to be back in the mix. Crowning New Jersey's best teams in baseball and lacrosse will be a huge thrill.

But, Connecticut, you say? New York?

I don't know what to say anymore. I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm glad I left next weekend open for the opportunity to go do these calls in New Jersey where I've had a nice run of championship broadcasts. Maybe I should just move there.

Oh, that would be quite humorous.

Now onto three straight days of Renegades games as I wear out the roads between Greenwich and Wappingers Falls.

On new tires.

No comments: