Friday, June 09, 2023

Wow Wawa

 

They'll be here any minute now.

Room 302.

Last door on the right.

I'm currently having dinner and, well, I suck.

I'm having Wawa. I didn't want that.

Two lacrosse games are in the can and we congratulate Summit and Shawnee for their state championship wins in Groups 2 and 3 respectively here in New Jersey.

So here I am at the Candlewood Suites while Sean holds down the fort back in the Presidential Suite.

He was initially interested in making the trip with me.

At least he was until he learned that there would be six broadcasts in a little over 24 hours.

So I'm all alone which is fine. 

I got to enjoy the drive here today which was thankfully without much drama. Oh, it's still a Friday in June in New Jersey so you're always aware of the traffic.

Still, I was able to check in here without any issues and was soon in my room.

Wawa sandwich and a cup of coffee in my hand.

I sat here, watched a little TV, ate, and was "nudged" towards getting to the game site nice and early to scout.

It's a sound idea, and one that I endorse, because I want to know what I'm working with. Not only for me but for the videographer as well.

I pulled into Hopewell Valley Regional High School around 2:00 for a 4 p.m. game. It's not uncommon for me to be two hours early to a game.

Or three.

I didn't rush, stopping at ... you guessed it ... Wawa for a big bottle of water. 

But once I found the field and a place to park (school was still in session), I walked into the facility to check on the booth.

I could see the lights were on in the booth but, well, nobody was home. Plus the door was locked.

Of more concern to me was that I was literally the only person there. I've been to other state championships and there's normally someone on site. But, often, that's on a Saturday. This was a Friday as school was letting out.

I began to get nervous that I was at the wrong site.

I double-checked and tripled-checked, just as I did when I learned where the games would be.

That's preparation, isn't it? I mean, it didn't take me 35 hours or whatever the formula is. 

Soon, my anxiety was calmed as a bus from Wall Township pulled into the parking lot. Lacrosse players decked out in red jerseys made their way to the field.

I was at the right place.

But I still needed an open booth or I'd be doing the game from the roof, which could be accessed from the outside.

Oh, and I still needed a videographer.

So I sat.

And I waited.

I watched as people set up the field.

I watched as Wall Township warmed up.

I watched as Summit arrived and soon they were warming up.

I played Solitaire on my phone.

I messaged with friends, sort of stunned by this.

Yet, I would have been a panicked mess at one time but I actually don't do that anymore.

I knew that I could set up quickly. I hoped the videographer could do the same.

He and his significant other showed up around 3:15.

The Hopewell Valley athletic director opened the booth around the same time for me.

It was under 45 minutes before game time.

The booth. The view.

I had my choice of where to set up and I chose the first window inside the door because it was right below where Michael (the videographer) set up on the roof.

I was set up within about 10 minutes. That's all it takes with a small mixer, a headset, a crowd mic, and cables to send the audio to Michael's camera, and to my computer.

Wall and Summit faced off and, after initial sound issues, we were on the air. Despite everything we missed none of the action.

You might know that I run literally every broadcast of mine into my computer so that I can have a recording. I love having my archive which is rather voluminous at this point.

I called the game and it became standard stuff. Summit won and there was much rejoicing in the crowd.

Except I forgot to record my audio.

I snarled at that fact, furious only with myself because I was so focused on everything else that I neglected to make sure the recording was working.

I was so annoyed but there was still another game to call.

So I ramped up and got ready for Shawnee and Chatham.

The roster on my phone

Except, despite all of the preparation that I did to satisfy the gatekeepers, the rosters for the second game were sketchy. To that end, I had to take pictures of copies that the athletic director had to get them on my phone. I'd have to balance between the versions I had (from the state) and my phone.

Not ideal, especially as I tried to be comfortable with schools that I'd never heard of. Yet I'd be damned if some out-of-state clown was going to ruin their championship broadcast.

The second broadcast happened and Shawnee -- the Renegades, of course -- won the crown.

Shawnee fans celebrate

The pack up in the booth was quick and I was soon on my way to get dinner.

Dammit, I wanted something different.

Yet, as I scrolled my phone, another jumped out at me.

Also, the skies opened. Fortunately for everyone at lacrosse, the games went off without rain. 

The ride back to the hotel wasn't as simple.

Thus, as I reached my exit, I knew I could get something at Wawa, like it or not.

I did have something different from earlier in the day and I got back to my room.

And, let's face it, it was still good.

Now I get to turn my attention to baseball tomorrow.

I'll head out in the morning and grab breakfast and I'll hopefully pick up an extra sandwich as well.

There are four baseball games so pacing is important.

The first game is at 10 a.m. Then 1 p.m., 4 p.m., and 7 p.m. before (probably) driving back to Connecticut.

Oh, and the first lacrosse game is archived so I'm recording the audio off of it for my personal archive.

It's not ideal but it reminds me to be diligent.

No comments: