Sunday, June 18, 2023

On Father's Day

 

Father (left), son (right)

We have the conundrum that is the day to honor the dads.

The same thing happens on Mother's Day but, as I'm a father, the emotions hit a bit differently.

Oh, it will be a good day. Sean and I are together and, while we'll be working, we'll be spending it at a baseball game. Yes, we work in different rooms but, still, it's hard to dispute it's pretty cool.

We'll probably have some time with family after the game also.

So, yeah, it's pretty good.

Still, I can't argue that I miss Robert Sr. 

It just doesn't matter how many years. Time eases all wounds? Puh-leeze. It's 34 years and still hurts badly.

Father's Day. His birthday. Holidays. St. Patrick's Day (the night he died) all amplifies that pain. 

The grief is still rather profound.

But we keep the stiff upper lip as best as possible as we move forward.

For those experiencing that Father's Day pain for the first time, I've got you. There is a sympathetic ear waiting for you. You see all of the celebrating -- justifiably -- of the fathers still with us and you feel a little left out. I get it. I'm glad you have yours.

For those experiencing Father's Day joy, well, I've got you also. It can vary in so many ways and sometimes we just want a nice meal and a quiet day. The gifts aren't necessary. I expect nothing from Sean today but our usual hijinks.

But, think about it. There are many other children of all ages whose fathers are still living but aren't around to join in the Hallmark-sponsored joy. That's also sad.

That's the confounding part of these days. There are people experiencing all kinds of feelings and, honestly, is it really that difficult to empathize?

Given what I see on a daily basis, yes. Yes, it is.

I want the fathers and their children to make the best of this day. However possible.

I want those who struggle with today to do the same to find a way to have peace.

But realize this: "Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting, my friend."

(Paul McCartney wrote that -- well, actually Lennon and McCartney did -- and today is Sir Paul's birthday. The GOAT is 81)

The quote is so true. Life is short. Very.

So do whatever you can to treasure each other.

And, if you can, have a catch with your dad.

I wish I could.

No comments: