Monday, June 12, 2023

Monday

 

The Boomtown Rats

"The silicon chip inside her head got switched to overload..."

I guess we don't need to truly analyze what it is about Mondays that are so ... huh ... what's the word?

Is it "manic?"

Is it that you simply "don't like Mondays?"

Or is it simply "Monday Monday?"

Whatever the case, these are the things rolling around my brain this morning.

I meant to start it early, given my alarm is now set for 3 a.m. tomorrow.

Yet, sleep wasn't good last night at all, probably because I actually wanted to sleep. Being tired didn't help things. I was up a few times, including around four thanks to Mr. Furry-you-know-who.

I stayed awake a short while later after feeding him.

I know you're all waiting on this news but there will be no "Doubleheader" today, at least as of now. Bob Small, operations manager, WGCH guru, and all-around good egg is off for a few days and so he has the station has a fill-in for him.

Guy by the name of Sean Adams.

To take any further pressure off the newbie, I've pulled myself out of doing a show today. Now, to dig a little deeper, I could do a show if I just went into the station. But to do it remotely isn't possible so we'll let it go.

He also encouraged me to take today off. Given there's nothing really pressing in the sports world I don't think it's a bad plan.

Oh, sure, if today were a normal show day, I'd go destroy both the Mets and Yankees for continued heartless play. I'm not losing any sleep over the Bombers losing two of three to the guys from Boston but they looked pathetic doing so, especially a mindless defensive lapse that cost them the game last night.

And my guy Anthony Volpe looks lost right now.

But none of this is breaking news.

I might pop into the station to see the hardworking operations guy at work but we'll see.

Then I'd like some kind of dinner and an evening of taking it easy before settling down for a few hours. It's only a four-day trip to the UK but there's still jet lag to deal with. I adjusted well last year but struggled upon returning to the States.

For those of you attending Renegades games on Saturday and Sunday, be prepared for one overtired and possibly wired public address announcer. Get your tickets now!

So, yeah, back to Mondays. It's the start of a new work week or school week or whatever week. Sometimes, we're riding the high of a good weekend but that also means crashing back to the reality of the "real world."

And, as with the first few lines of this post, it led me down a rabbit hole of songs about Monday.

I didn't even get to "Rainy Days and Mondays" since it always gets me down. Or Monday Morning, because it sure looks fine. Or Blue Monday (either New Order or Fats Domino).

Same title. Two totally different songs. Both are great actually.

And, in case it needs clearing up, "I Don't Like Mondays" is actually about a profoundly disturbing incident. That doesn't mean it didn't result in a great song.

But this is this Monday.

As for tomorrow, well, as always, I'll try. I'll do my best to post each day from London which, in truth, only needs to be for three days. I can post on Friday night from the US.

And, further dirty truth, I can post tomorrow morning from the States. So, yeah.

Anyway, it's hours since I first started this post. I'm done with this day.

See you tomorrow from here or JFK or somewhere in England.

No comments: