Sunday, June 11, 2023

Packing and Thinking

 

The bags are packed. The cat is not going.

I don't perform brain surgery.

I'm not an airline pilot.

I talk.

Oh, I do other stuff too but so much of my career(s) involve speaking. It's a specialized skill set and, while I'm proud of it, I also know its place in the world.

But, let's put a pin in that for a moment.

Today was also packing day.

But, I'll tell you straight out, despite my not flying airplanes yesterday, I was exhausted today.

I called a lot of baseball yesterday and then packed up, got in the car, and drove straight home.

So, yes, I was quite tired.

My old friend Mr. Rascal Squeaky was happy to be up and ready for a 4:30 a.m. feeding. Yet I still got some sleep after that.

It took some effort to get moving but I did head in the right direction, doing the needed pre-travel load of laundry.

As it rolled through the dryer, Sean and I took a walk into town with the intention of seeing the "Parade of Champions" that had been organized to honor the Greenwich High School winners of the 22-23 school year.

The parade was talked about back in 2018 but nothing came of it.

Given I sort of talk about Greenwich sports a lot I figured I'd should see this event.

A few weeks back, I was asked about it by Tony Savino live on WGCH. Just one problem: I had no idea it was happening.

It's something WGCH should have been a part of.

So Sean and I ambled over, hoping to see an atmosphere equal to that of the Greenwich Town Party parade a few weeks ago. We were discussing which food truck we'd go to when we arrived to find that the parade had packed up and everyone had basically left.

I wanted Dough Girls, a food truck that makes outstanding pizza but, alas, today wasn't the day. We grabbed pizza elsewhere and came back home.

So, yeah, I finished up the laundry and set about packing.

The suit. The shoes (they have to be comfortable and, preferably, slip on for the airport). The toiletries. Of course, the clothes.

And yes, I overpack.

The weather says the temperature will be in the 80s all week in the day. So, I'm adding a windbreaker that packs well just in case of any chillier temps. I have to decide on a hat. 

The headphones have been charged. So has the camera. Yes, I still have a point-and-shoot in addition to my phone.

Yes, there's a script that needs to travel as well. The draft is printed and in my binder. I expect to have another copy sometime tomorrow.

I just try to be ready when I travel. Much like when I call games.

Ready. 

Ready?

Oh, what's another word for being ready? What's that term?

PREPARATION!

Yeah, I'm quite prepared.

One can prepare only so much but can't possibly prepare for everything.

And you're bound to forget something.

I'm hoping I didn't.

It's four days and I've reminded myself there are stores in London. I can adjust as needed.

It's a routine that I often go through on road trips. As I begin to drive, I do a mental checklist and make sure that things are (I think) with me. From there, I decide what I can live without, what I can buy down the road, and what I need to turn around for. Lastly, where's that final spot before I won't turn around?'

It's a lot of mental gymnastics and I get that many won't understand it but it's all part of what I do and I like it.

Come Tuesday, basically, there's no turning back when I leave the apartment around, gulp, 3:50 a.m.

Once I meet with the Hunt Scanlon team, that's it. Anything I've forgotten will have to wait until London.

I admired my coworker last year, who actually bought a suit (or two, if I recall correctly) overseas last year. I mean, I remember thinking that was the coolest thing. Of course, he was completely low-key about it where I'd probably be in a fetal position.

Then again, I can surprise by appearing outwardly calm. It's what's going on inside.

Like yesterday, when I was getting wound up waiting for a videographer to show up.

But, hey, what stress?

I'll leave the flying to the pilot on Tuesday out of JFK.

No comments: