Friday, June 23, 2023

Topics Limited

 

"The Overrated Shortstop"
(Photo by Jessica Rinaldi/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)

Inspiration can come from all kinds of places.

For last night's post, it was dinner, and I'm happy with the way that came together.

Tonight, however, I'm just sort of sitting in our living room.

I've currently got nothing.

Despite what some think, I don't just let it all hang out. I don't tell every story. I don't give every detail. You don't need to know all of the good or the bad. I try -- hard -- to be judicious.

So, yes, I do keep some things to myself.

And thus here I sit.

The Yankees are on TV but the sound is off. 

Sean is in his room. Dinner has been taken care of.

The cat is in his bed to my left. It's crazy how he'll follow me into my bedroom but, ultimately, will either sleep under my bed, under my desk, or somewhere else.

He's nuts. That's why he fits in here.

*****

I got myself into a little hot water on the interwebs today. Nothing major and it's all good but it was one of those things I probably should have let go.

The topic -- silly, of course -- was that among four hall-of-fame baseball players, which one would you throw out? Again, it's completely ridiculous, but the choices were Nolan Ryan, Tony Gwynn, Rickey Henderson, and D.S. Jeter.

I knew where this was going and decided I wasn't having it. The idea was for Jeter-bashing to begin and oh boy did it!  Most people, in fact, picked Derek Jeter to be tossed in this scenario.

I picked Nolan Ryan.

My reasoning was that while Ryan was a great pitcher -- and he was -- he wouldn't be my first choice for a pitcher. Or second, etc. Even in his era, I would have selected another contemporary if I was filling out a staff and needed a pitcher to get me a win.

Give me Jim Palmer or Steve Carlton or Vida Blue or Tom Seaver. Heck, even prime Ron Guidry.

On the other hand, if reaching for a shortstop, and I needed a win, Jeter would be in the conversation. He made every big play and got every big hit.

Gwynn was simply a hitting machine. If it's my decision, he stays.

And does anyone need to define or defend keeping Rickey? Rickey would agree with keeping Rickey for sure. Rickey knew how to get on base by any means necessary and Rickey knew he'd eventually score. That's what Rickey did.

But I realize this was a Derek Jeter issue for me. The funny thing is that Jeets was never my favorite on those Yankees. It was always Paul O'Neill or someone else. Jeter was always there -- solid as a rock, keeping his nose out of trouble, and saying as little as he could.

It almost felt too easy to be a Jeter fan.

But he was a winner. He found a way every time.

I've come to appreciate him more over the years.

I suppose part of it was the Jeter backlash that I read all too often, with my favorite being the #OverratedShortstop nonsense.

Yes, indeed. The sixth most hits in history, coupled with five world championships, the "flip play" and the myriad other big moments that he simply excelled at just make him a bum.

You look back and realize that we were lucky to watch him when we did. You realize you can tell your kids, grandkids, etc that you saw Derek Jeter play.

He also debuts as a studio analyst tomorrow for FOX Sports' coverage of the London Series between the Cubs and Cardinals. If the series "The Captain" showed us anything, I think he'll be good on TV. 

It was silly of me to weigh in on such internet idiocy but, then again, it's a hill I'm willing to die on. So long as the responses are respectful and all in good fun, I'll hardly lose any sleep over it.

I find enough other ways to do that.

There. I found a topic.

No comments: