Wednesday, June 07, 2023

A Day on Tatooine

 


So, yeah, we're in some kind of end-of-days type of thing.

Or, we could be less dramatic and just say it's smoke and haze from the wildfires in Nova Scotia.

It's pretty remarkable that brushfires some 500 miles away are impacting Greenwich, CT but that's nature for you, Suzyn.

We've seen the haze around the area for a week now but today is the darkest and, frankly, smelliest day yet.

I ran to Hunt Scanlon this morning to fumble through the pre-read for the next week's conference in London. With good humor, we got through the stumbles and I'll keep reading as the event gets closer.

The larger point is that the air wasn't so bad at that point.

But, ugh, it's worse now.

Eventually, I began to smell the aroma of something that wasn't unpleasant at first. But it also wasn't obvious that it was indeed the smoke.

Then I stepped outside. Wow.


In fact, I bought a new lounge chair that arrived today and decided to test it out. I decided I wouldn't sit on my deck for long simply because the air quality just seems too dangerous.

To that end, the CIAC has postponed the lacrosse semifinals among other events. Not canceled -- there is a difference -- but postponed.

I was even asked if I wanted to be a part of some high school games at Heritage Financial Park, but the Renegades announced that the games have been postponed.

Schools are keeping recess inside for students.

Yankee Stadium last night (CNN)

There's talk the Yankees game tonight at the Stadium will also get postponed.

Oh, I know, west coast. You have been heard from. We know you see these conditions a lot and your snark has been duly noted on the interwebs.

Around these parts, it's rather unusual.

That's why people are posting pictures and tales of unsafe air.

New York City (CNN)

New York City is actually almost hidden in pictures today.

What's most concerning to me is that I have loved ones with asthma and I can't imagine what it's doing to them.

As I sit in the comfy confines of my darkened living room (yes, it's dark in here) I have a slight headache and a watery eye but nothing I can't handle. There's just this apocalyptic glow hanging around.

Everything is orange and, to a certain generation, it reminds you of that nuclear movie "The Day After."

"The Clubhouse" is coming up later so I'll be out in the haze.

But, excuse me if I don't kiss the sky.

Uncle Owen! Aunt Beru! It's the fires from Canada!


No comments: