Monday, June 05, 2023

Holy Last Second Broadcast!

 


The phone buzzed inside stately Adams Manor.

The topic was the upcoming Connecticut Class M high school baseball semifinal between Nonnewaug and St. Joseph.

Who was broadcasting it, was the question. Is anyone streaming it?

I adjusted my glasses as the mild-mannered but occasionally all-knowing reporter that I can be and fixed my hat.

Then I looked at the computer.

Nope. I saw nothing.

A back-and-forth began on the phone. All messages, of course.

Yet, something resisted in my brain. Do they want me to go to Bristol?

A further look at the CIAC website revealed the Nonnewaug/St. Joseph game was the second part of a doubleheader at Muzzy Field in Bristol. New Fairfield and Wolcott are scheduled for 3:30.


Now my X-Ray vision was kicking in for some reason. Nobody was calling these games? But what about Class LL and S and L?

Nothing I could do about that. The phone had buzzed. There was just one thing left to do!

Get permission from control, of course. Or the Justice League!

Or, maybe, the CIAC.

An email to John Holt got a quick reply: nobody is on it. It's all yours.

Well, then it's time to step into the phone booth, rip off the suit, and change into...

(RECORD SCRATCH).


Dude, I'm nothing Super. I'm not ever Super Rabbit! 

(That's a mighty funny Bugs Bunny cartoon, to be clear)

It wasn't the Batphone that buzzed. No Bat-Signal was put out either.

I don't like seeing games not get covered and this allows me to put what I do on display in Connecticut before I head to New Jersey on Friday.

Plus I love Muzzy Field. I haven't called anything there in roughly a decade so I'm pretty pumped.

So, well, this works. I have a learning curve for sure and I certainly do not have the ... checks notes ... 28 hours or whatever it is that I'm supposed to put in for game prep.

Instead, I have already printed out rosters. Thanks to both Tim Parry and Pete Paguaga, I have a few tidbits. I'll dig for some more before I hit the road tomorrow.

As I've said, this is a tough time in the high school broadcasting world. Brunswick's year is over and most Greenwich sports are done as well. I'll be doing the Babe Ruth states at Trumbull in a few weeks but it looked like things would be quiet otherwise.

Sure, I'd pick up some depositions and, of course, I'm going to London on business next week and of course, I have the Renegades for public address duty.

But this week looked like I was heading into a dry spell.

Then I went from zero to eight games.

Let's figure on a 3:25 pregame show tomorrow at robcasting.mixlr.com.

Hopefully, it will be a super time.

Google Streetview


No comments: