Friday, June 16, 2023

Cheers, London

 

Being "funny" on Wednesday. Photo by Walker Manning

Greetings from Connecticut.

It was a day that began at 4:30 a.m. in London. To be clear, that was 11:30 p.m. last night in Greenwich.

I dozed off a few times today on the plane but I'm otherwise holding on so that I can sleep at my normal time here in the States.

Doing whatever I can to help my body adjust.

Travel days are just brutal. Especially the last day.

Your patience has whittled down to almost nothing so you simply don't have time for crowded airport terminals and the like.

You're trying to hustle to your gate and there's ... somebody ... slowing things up.

But I made it and that's that. I also got a chicken parm wrap (that wasn't called that) from Prep-a-Manger at Heathrow Airport.

Plus I was able to hit the duty-free shop and no I did not buy sushi at Boots like I did last year.

It was a shame to leave London, especially with such a small amount of time on this visit. But, still, I'm beyond grateful to visit the U.K. again and enjoy its people, food, transportation, and culture.

I'll try to do it better next time.

Walker and Erik headed out early this morning and, as of now, they're in Paris. Oh, what I would give.

Chris, Scott, Cody, and Drew are likely winding down after another day in London.

Mike and I raced across the pond back to Greenwich in a whirlwind.

Our flight was delayed and Mike's phone is gone and I was their lifeline and this is all when travel is at its most testing.

All of that made the idea of having to return to the US more tolerable. That, and loved ones that I look forward to seeing.

Now, for reasons that aren't entirely sound, I'll be on public address duties tomorrow for the Renegades. 

I'm doing the same on Sunday.

The good news is that I can sleep a bit tomorrow.

By late Sunday afternoon, it will be over.

Plus, Sunday is Father's Day and Sean is mindful of it. We both have to work but Sean actually suggested that a trip to Cooperstown would have otherwise been perfect for Father's Day.

All good and, believe me, once this day has ended I'll be ready for the next travel adventure.

One is in the pipeline for late July/early August. I just have to book some stuff.

For tonight, my thoughts are fading as my energy is dipping.

The Old Man and the boys before dinner last night
(Drew, Mike, Walker, Eric, and Cody)

Thank you, Hunt Scanlon colleagues, for four too-quick days that won't be forgotten. For the meals and the drinks and the laughs and the stunning view from the London Eye.

Special shoutout to Erik for Wednesday when we just strolled the city, went up on the Eye, and took it all in. It was a favorite day.

Thank you, London.

Let's do it again.


No comments: