Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Year 55 Begins

 


I'm overwhelmed.

Just astounded at the number of people who have texted, called, messaged, and posted about my birthday.

I can't deny the rumor. I turned 54 today and, as a result, began my 55th "trip around the sun" as the cool kids say now.

They don't say that but it sounded like something that would make the cool kids roll their eyes. I'm all for that and, let's face it, have a lengthy history of making cool kids roll their eyes.

As I sit here tonight, jazz is sounding out and I've just finished a fantastic chicken parm dinner.

Granted, I ordered out because I have zero ability to make a chicken parm on my own. I also had spicy tuna sushi for lunch and a secret admirer gave me Junior's cheesecake. I was going to withhold that from Sean if he didn't text me about today but nah.

awwwwwwwwwwwwYEAH!

He texted me so it's all good. Sean is just Sean. He can easily forget such things.

Oh, it's been a wonderful day and while I'd rather not be alone tonight, I'm really not that sad about it. I'll pop the TV on later. I have things I can work on. I also have the music playing.

It's truly been a great day and I'm humbled by the love that has come my way today. I have wonderful friends and family. That's really all there is to it.

You like me! You really like me!

Not everything was perfect, of course. Spending 45 minutes waiting for a virtual court appearance will never be fun and I'll be a happier soul when Sean turns 21 in February but, in the end, there was truly nothing to talk about. Just bureaucratic silliness. But, of course, it had to be today, didn't it?

Still, I could have driven all the way to Poughkeepsie for the appearance. Instead, I was in my apartment. It was all fine.

A small blip in a day of goodness.

There was an effort to create a small surprise gathering but people have lives so it didn't work. I'm so pleased to even be thought of and it would have been wonderful to have seen those friends. But all good. I have no complaints about how it turned out.

That's the thing for me. While I'm sure there are things I want (the new Super Deluxe release of The Beatles' Revolver comes to mind), I'm not a gift person. I want love and companionship. I want to see people happy and if that happens because of me, all the better. 

I want to see people just be better. 

These seem like trite ideas but I don't care. It's what I'd like. Shouldn't we all?

Look, I'm horrified by a lot of our world. Colorado Springs makes me sick. It's so unacceptable. I don't care who you are or what you are. Are you a good person? Are you good to me and my son and loved ones? Then you're welcome to join the gathering. I'll accept you regardless.

Nosy people and rude people are the ones I can do without.

So to laugh, have sushi, come home, do a radio show, eat chicken parm and cheesecake all sounds like a birthday gift to me.

That so many people care enough to wish me well today is simply the topping on that cheesecake.

I'd have to say my wish came true today.

At the same time, I toasted my parents, who I miss dearly, and those whom we have lost. May they all be smiling somewhere tonight.

I was asked earlier today what my goals are for this year. I'm not one to really set such marks but I'll say this: I want to continue to discover life. I'd like to be a little healthier (no, I'm not cutting out Waffle House). I'd like my life to calm down a bit more and have more stability.

I'm planning to enjoy this 55th year. That's my goal.

The number means a lot around these parts.

I have to thank all of you individually now! Forgive me if I miss anyone.

This is 54



No comments: