Monday, November 07, 2022

Election Eve


 

Tomorrow is Election Day.

More specifically, it's my first Election Day as a Connecticut resident.

To be honest, I'm a little nervous because, like everything I do, I take the task of voting seriously. That doesn't mean I'm the only one who does.

It's that I'd like to feel educated about everything.

I first voted in Nov 1987 because I turned 18 after election day in 1986. Save for one year I've voted every year since then.

I've been trying to do some research for tomorrow for two reasons:

1) Of course, to place my own responsible votes, and

2) Because I'll be a part of election night coverage on WGCH at 8pm (wgch.com* if it's working).

I've told basically every broadcasting student of mine about the time back in 2000 when I was asked to go cover the 4th Congressional District race in Norwalk. At that time I was only doing sports and a little news as needed.

Now, as I explained to our then-news director Jim Thompson, I lived in New York and didn't have the first clue about Connecticut politics.

Jim was nonplussed. He said he'd help me and that I'd be doing him a big favor. Given my love of radio and WGCH (along with my respect for Jim), I couldn't say no so I gave it a shot.

I even wound up in the newspaper, as a photographer from the Norwalk Hour caught me in the background as the candidate I was covering hugged a supporter. I looked angry and flustered because, most likely, I was angry and flustered.

Basically, I had no idea what I was doing but I faked it to make it. Plus I needed the candidate for an interview with Jim.

And so began over 20 years of election night coverage. I've missed a few over the years due to other commitments but, otherwise, I've been found in numerous locations annually.

Among the best was the time that Chris Erway joined me and we went to the Greenwich Democratic headquarters at the old Horseneck Tavern (pour one out for the Horseneck). Well, things didn't go well for the Dems that night, so we were able to wrap up our coverage before being told to help ourselves to food and drink.

There have been years where it felt like nobody wanted to talk to the reporter from WGCH that nobody knew and there have been years that were a little more productive.

Last year was just ... last year. Does that explain it?

But, still, every year I feel a sense of pride for dipping my toe back into hard news. Elections aren't an easy gig to cover. It has certainly changed though in that there isn't a crush of reporters anymore. I'll be among the few media members on-site tomorrow.

And this will be the first time where I'll be reporting for an election that I've voted on (not including national races, of course).

Like all of my jobs, I take this on with a great deal of responsibility, so of course, I hope it goes well. I don't know for sure where I'll be stationed (I'm guessing Greenwich Dems again) but one never knows.

As for my voting, I have a few ideas about what and who I'm going to vote for and I'm still deciding on the others. I'll work it all out in the morning.

It's amazing that anyone -- including me -- needs to explain how important it is to vote. There are ways to let your voice be heard and the most important is voting, however you do it. I won't tell you how I'm voting but I'll tell you that I vote with a conscience every year. I don't vote based on a party but on items and candidates that I believe in.

Choice. Yes, that's a fine word to use here. Choice.

We have a choice.

I will use my choice wisely.

Then I will help report the results.

Please vote. 

Then listen*.

*Remember the gremlins I wrote about last week that caused issues to knock WGCH off the air. Yeah, we're still scuffling. WGCH.com might not be functioning tomorrow night but I'm hoping it will be.

No comments: