Monday, November 28, 2022

Coming Up

 

Hartong Rink

A busy week is upon me so I think I'm just going to set the table and call it a night.

I did both "Doubleheader" and "Poughkeepsie Nissan Monday Night Sports" tonight from the Z-93 iHeart studios. It's a long drive up and back but both shows went well.

Tomorrow will begin with teaching the first of my two classes for the daytime group at CSB Media Arts Center. I'll talk up the radio and biz and try to make them comfortable with the material. Trust me, I've done this for a long time now and I know I'm not an instructor that many (most) students look forward to.

Oh, I don't take it personally. Not everyone is a sports fan so the last thing they want to do is talk about sports or learn to talk about sports. My goal is comfort and the understanding that they don't need to know everything about sports to handle the material. So much of what I teach can be transferred to other disciplines.

Tomorrow night is the first Greenwich playoff game at Cardinal Stadium. Hamden comes to town for a 6:30 kickoff. Chris Erway and I will be on the call on WGCH. Because of the timing, I don't think I'll be able to do "Doubleheader."

If the Cardinals win on Tuesday, well, read on.

However, we should be OK for a show on Wednesday. I'll either go to WGCH on Wednesday for "Doubleheader" or do it from home. Then, I have to go to Mount Kisco for "The Clubhouse." Mark, Dave, Bob, and I will reconvene at that time for the first show in probably six weeks or so.

Thursday will also be busy with my first look at the 2022-2023 Brunswick Bruins hockey team. It was just about nine months ago that the Bruins went all the way to the NEPSAC Large School Championship before falling to Kent. I have no doubt that head coach Mike Kennedy and his staff have assembled another outstanding team. Just as I do with Greenwich football, I keep an eye out for when the hockey playoffs are with an expectation (or hope) of calling those games.

Friday will be a complete chance to catch my breath. No doubt Sean will be here so we can catch up a bit. I'll also do "Doubleheader."

Dann Gymnasium

Saturday will find me back at Brunswick for their first home basketball game. Head coach Steve Juricek has built a program there -- I always say building a culture is so important -- and he was excited when I spoke with him a few months ago. Brunswick sometimes ties me up with hockey and basketball on the same day but, fortunately, there is no conflict this Saturday. 

The Bruins hoops squad made it to the FAA Championship but lost to St. Luke's. Much like the hockey team, they'll look to build on that experience and wrap up a title.

Finally, we go to Sunday where, if Greenwich wins in football tomorrow night against Hamden, they'll play either Glastonbury or West Haven at home in the Class LL semifinals. Chris and I intend to be at Cardinal Stadium. If they win that game? It's onto the state championship.

If Greenwich loses tomorrow, there's a plan B. Or I'll watch football. Or both.

I'm hoping the winter season will stay as busy as it appears. Sometimes, I get too wrapped up in the number of games when the goal is always to create a quality broadcast no matter what.

Still, I love being reliable and doing as many games as I can and the season is just getting started.

That's what's up this week.

No comments: