Wednesday, November 09, 2022

Domesticated Bliss

 

My chair. Of course, he doesn't care.

It's quiet on the home front.

Too quiet, in fact.

So, I'm not sure I made it clear exactly how close we were last night to the end of the P-365 madness.

Really close. I waved the white flag.

Look, it's my fault that I was in that position. I should have written hours earlier but the day got away from me.

Then I got to WGCH after "Doubleheader." Of course, we were once again having issues with dead air, so guess who jumped on the air?

Assistant news director Jim Campbell ... and me.

Then Tony Savino showed up and Bob Small joined us and, last but not least, Chris Erway walked in.

A blog post wasn't a priority. Now it was preparing for our coverage of election results. Oh, and grab a slice of pizza.

Chris and I got to our assigned spot just before 8 p.m. and it wasn't exactly easy to figure out where we could set up.

Eventually, we found a spot and began reporting. It was tough sledding to get interviews so we were forced to report and, essentially, do play-by-play.

All the while, we awaited the speeches, which normally signal the end of our night.

As I wrote last night, eight o'clock turned to nine and ten and, as eleven approached, I began to see reality.

I prepared to get home after midnight and write a post to pour one out for "Project 365."

Around 11, Chris asked me about the blog post.

"I don't think I'm going to be able to do one," I said. "I think it's over."

He wouldn't hear of it. He went full John Belushi in Animal House on me.

"No! You've got to do on!" he said. "Sit down! The computer is here! Write it now! Take a picture of us and let's go!"

With that nudge, I threw together the post. We took a quick selfie, wrapped up the broadcast, and I posted the blog.

Done.

Thank Chris for the assistance in keeping this madness going.

*****

So I basically never left the apartment today.

For one thing, I was wiped out after election night. It was well past 1 a.m. before I even considered trying to sleep. Of course, Rascal doesn't care about such things so he still had me up early.

But I just did things around here. I only stepped out to check the mail.

After catching up with stuff I wanted to get done and doing "Doubleheader" I decided it was time for dinner. So I made myself something (I'm no chef) and prepared to sit down at my kitchen table.

Being alone I thought a little music would break the monotony of the moment.

"Alexa, play some jazz," I said.

On came the sounds of Dave Brubeck and Miles Davis and others on Sirius XM's Real Jazz channel.

For a moment, I felt a certain level of bliss. I always liked music sounding out at home and I admit I love some jazz in the background for a meal.

Though it's not background noise for me. Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" is still among the most perfect pieces of music and I was toe-tapping along as I ate.

The meal included the absolutely insanely great rice balls that Susan makes. I added some pasta to make a little meal. Trust me, it was nowhere near as great as the rice balls.

I enjoyed all of it and let the tunes carry on as I did the dishes and cleaned up.

Of course, Rascal took over my chair in the living room so I return to the peace of my bedroom where I'm monitoring the Weather Channel as Hurricane Nicole approaches Florida.

That rain will turn towards us by Friday.

Chris and I will be in Pawling, NY for Brunswick and Trinity-Pawling and, most likely, we'll be told there's no room in the booth.

So, we're left to ponder how to put a broadcast together in potential drenching rain and wind.

That will be fun.

I'll worry about that tomorrow.

No comments: