Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Turkey Eve

Seniors and loved ones pose following the senior night ceremony

At the beginning of football season, I said three teams wanted me to be their broadcaster.

Of course, Greenwich and Brunswick are the first two. The third is Fairfield Prep, where I did a few games last year (though one was against Greenwich).

We were unable to work out the conflicts until tonight when I called their season finale against the undefeated West Haven Blue Devils, considered the top team in the state.

Final score: Fairfield Prep 21, West Haven 6. 

Knowing it was the day before Thanksgiving (as God is my witness I thought turkeys could fly), I had to get on the road well before Interstate 95 formed its annual parking lot*.

*Well, it's a daily parking lot but it's extra ugly on Thanksgiving Eve.

So I did what any rational soul would do! I left 6.5 hours before kickoff for a trip that should normally take far less.

My thinking was that I could shop in a few places. I could sit somewhere and eat lunch. I could pull into the Fairfield rest area and sleep! I could also use their wifi.

It took maybe an hour in total, including time to stop at Home Depot in Stamford, where Chris Kaelin suggested I could go to get a long internet cable for tomorrow's festivities at Staples High School (Greenwich/Staples, 10 a.m., WGCH).

I messaged Shawn Sailer (Fairfield's own purveyor of all things #OneTown) and we decided to grab lunch. Ah, that will do quite nicely! A buffalo chicken wrap and fries would do the job to hold me for the game.

We hung out, talked (we never struggle to do that), and soon departed.

As I drove away, I realized something was underneath my wiper blade. Yes, friends, your dumb-dumb writer had parked in a spot for cars with permits at the wrong hour of the day. I received a well-earned ticket for my efforts.

You're welcome, Fairfield.

Following a much-needed coffee purchase, I arrived at Rafferty Stadium, the soccer/lacrosse facility on the campus of Fairfield University. This is where Fairfield Prep plays football and, as such, lighter lines are drawn on the field for football to be played. It makes for a difficult visual but it works.

Dave Houghton -- producer, director, cameraman, and point person for the broadcasts -- had just started setting up. For the record, I arrived at the stadium an incredible three hours before kickoff. But, on the bright side, there was plenty of parking in the lot closest to the field. My friend (and senior football dad) Erick Wuchiski busted my chops for being so early.

For the record, I'll probably be roughly three hours early for kickoff tomorrow at Staples. It's part of being prepared (and also allows us to get to the tailgate).

Dave's setup of the computer and cameras took much longer than mine. In fact, I set up audio, realized I didn't need it and broke it down quickly. I was able to try out the new internet cable (it works fine). Then I could relax. Shawn eventually joined me to hang out for the evening.

Senior night ceremonies kicked things off. It was made more emotional by the acknowledgment of Jimmy McGrath, who died at a gathering in Shelton back in May. McGrath's parents and loved ones were on hand to receive a framed jersey on what should have been his senior night. A standing ovation and tears were parts of this moment.

Eventually, we got down to football between these two Thanksgiving (Eve) rivals. 

For what it's worth (zero) this is the first Thanksgiving Eve game I've called in 22 years. I did Greenwich at Danbury back in 2000. Every year since then (with the obvious exception of 2020) I've done a game on Thanksgiving Day (and, reminder, I'll do so tomorrow).

I called this one solo tonight, aware of the responsibility of being the hired gun brought in for the first time this season. It's a daunting task but one I was ready for. Sitting in the next room, my friend Eric Scholl made the music jump out of the sound system, nailing each particular moment where needed. His first song of the night was a little ditty called "The Power of Love" played for a broadcaster nearby.

In my opinion, that should now be a tradition, given Prep won. Or maybe it should just be when I'm there to call a game.

Prep and West Haven were really playing for just seeding tonight, as neither team needed it to make the playoffs. The playoffs begin Tuesday and, as much as I'd love to call another game for Prep, you know I'll be on Greenwich's call that night.

So it could be "one and done" with Prep this season for football, though I'd say there's a fairly solid chance you'll hear me back there very soon.

It turned out to be a productive, low-stress night.

An early start awaits tomorrow morning.

No comments: