Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Greenwich Wins. Film at 11


 The CIAC football quarterfinals were held tonight and Greenwich High School rolled to a 47-7 victory over Hamden.

The Cardinals simply did their thing with a strong run defense and timely plays. They were opportunistic with takeaways and they pounded the ball while their quarterback, Jack Wilson, threw four touchdowns.

Next up is a matchup with Glastonbury Sunday at 12:30. If they win that they're onto the state championship game.

Oh, we were there tonight, calling the game for WGCH. I mean, the radio station has basically been there for every game since 1964. Why should tonight be any different?

It was the 24th time -- I did a quick count -- that I handled the play-by-play for a Connecticut state playoff game for Greenwich. That's not counting my sideline reporting foray in 1999 before I took over as sports director at WGCH.

Dr. Joyce Brothers, Dick Enberg, Mel Allen, Dick Vitale,
Tim McCarver, Jim Palmer, and Curt Gowdy
in The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!

I tweeted that the booth tonight looked like the scene from the "Naked Gun" movie. I give Chris credit for this because he made a reference to Dr. Joyce Brothers before we went on the air and I couldn't resist it.

The thing is, Greenwich fans -- like any loyal fan -- want to know where to find the game. They prefer their broadcasters on their radio station. For grandparents and the like who aren't tech savvy that ability to just flip on the radio and have Chris and I paint the picture for you is so important. 

They might have options but they're loyal to us.

Alums and fans build a relationship with the broadcaster. It's what they grew up with. It's what they know. They can count on WGCH (except for last year and let's not go there) to produce a professional broadcast. That was basically said to me in a text after the game was over.

It's the standard that we uphold.

We see you. We hear you. We got the texts and messages and felt the love all night. 

After any pregame silliness, the bottom line is to tighten things up and call the game.

That's what we did.

That's what we've done as a duo for a long time now.

Oh, we were silly before the game. That's what we have to do. We were both fired up for the call and I was being especially loose on the field. I realized I was being ridiculous and so did Chris but it helped keep us both ready.

A game like this needs to remain entertaining. Being dry, exaggerating, and robotic causes people to lose interest. You're not getting that with us.

It was a wild night with multiple upsets (some simply appearing so only on paper). We followed along reading comments that were utterly inane online but there was so much good reporting. It's the kind of night I just love.

Eric Scholl kept me posted with texts about the Fairfield Prep/Staples game (one of the best games of the night). Others tweeted info. Prep worked out a tough victory and they'll be tough in the semis. Of course, I can already hear Prep asking Chris and I to call that game but, well, we'll be at Greenwich on Sunday.

Why should it be any different?

No comments: