Thursday, November 17, 2022

Analysis

 


Tonight's the Greenwich Old Timer's Athletic Association Awards Dinner and I'm dressed for the occasion.

Jacket. Tie. Dress pants. Dress shoes.

Things match even if it's not a full suit.

I wore it out into the world today, hours before the event with the knowledge that I might not have time to come home and get changed.

So I went to a place that I occasionally go and it couldn't go unnoticed.

Not, "Hey, Rob, looking good today."

Not, "Hey, Rob, you look like hot garbage."

No.

Picture someone whom I really don't know and am not friendly with. Now, listen for the voice.

Got an image?

OK, good. Let's proceed.

"Hey, why are you all dressed up?"

Oh, hey, why do you care so much? No, I didn't say that but I sort of wish I did.

That's my father coming out in me. He was uncomfortable being looked at and, I pity you if he thought you were staring at him.

I took the high road, navigating that I had an event.

Or, more importantly, this is how I wanted to dress. Like, I don't mind dressing up to make someone happy, even if that person is me.

I realize my style is nothing special but I'm that kid in high school who showed up in the narrow beige tie with a white shirt and off-brand Capezio shoes in the 80s. I didn't do it every day but I did it because I wanted to.

And you bet I was asked about it then also.

I elected to dress as if I wouldn't get home before the banquet because 1) convenience and 2) every girl is crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man.

You didn't have a ZZ Top quote on the "Exit 55" bingo card, did you?

I suspected someone would ask. I expected to be asked if I had a court appearance and, no I don't. That's next week.

I expected someone else to be the one to ask, to which point I suggested having security on standby (yes, I'm kidding).

I'm just not big on nosey people.

Sure, I can be a nosey soul in my own ways but, silly me, I never ask about such things.

Yes, I wonder why people do what they do but I figure, at the end of the day, it's none of my business. So the question goes unanswered.

As I heard a person say years ago, "This is an "A" and "B" conversation. "C" your way out!"

Well, that's why I could have been seen dressed for a banquet hours ahead of time. Because it was convenient, because I didn't have to get changed, and because I really wanted to.

Analyzing me isn't really a productive thing because I am what I am, as the noted philosopher Popeye once said.

Anyway, I have a banquet to get to.

No comments: