Tuesday, November 08, 2022

The OG



Greetings from Greenwich Democratic Headquarters in Old Greenwich.

It's just past 11 p.m. and, honestly, I thought we were done here with ol' P-365.

But, with Chris Erway's encouragement, I've sat down at the ad-hoc press table that was created via two chairs and a table with cups of water on it.

We're three hours into our broadcast that has resolved...only a little.

A few races seem complete while others are so close.

The numbers feel to be in but, well, there's a weird feeling in the air.

Oh, this has been a night, believe me.

Nobody wants to be interviewed and wow am I grateful that Chris is here to keep me company as we read the numbers on the spreadsheet.

One would have to think speeches are approaching but, as of yet, nada.

This might, possibly, be the longest I've had to stay on the air here. I remember keeping colleagues company back in the days when we'd have coverage in New York, Stamford, and Norwalk as well.

But nothing like this. We've wrapped up by 10 p.m. every year as the worst-case scenario. Some years, I'd file a report at 9, air the speeches, and leave.

Tonight? We're still sitting here and waiting.

Oh, and as for voting, I did my part this morning. I voted and the whole process took all of 10 minutes, tops.

I drove a few minutes, walked in, was handed a ballot, filled it out, filed it, and walked out.

Done.

If I can do it, so can you and I hope you did today. It's so important for our voices to be heard -- however they're heard.

And, just my two cents, I beg of you to always vote for people and causes, not lines. But what do I know?

Thankfully, the speeches have finally just begun here. 

Our night is wrapping up.

A night of being sardined. Crushed. Stepped on. Questioned. Ignored. So on.

Oh and a candidate basically dropped an eff bomb near our microphones.

It's almost time to go home.

Another election night in the books.

What a night.

No comments: