Monday, November 14, 2022

Conversations with The Cat


 

I feel tapped out tonight.

I've done my radio work and I need to carve out a few minutes to write a post.

But no topic is grabbing me.

So I asked Rascal.

"Meow," was his answer, and, yes, that sure does seem like a good thing to write about.

The thing is I don't feel like writing about bad stuff tonight.

"Meow," he added.

Well, he had me there. I was indeed pretty horrified by the stories from Idaho and Virginia. Both are senseless violent acts that resulted in deaths.

Look, I have no interest in getting into some kind of gun debate. I want to keep guns out of the hands they don't belong in.

That being said, I'm not big on guns.

I'm also not big on people dying. I mean, that's just me.

"Meow," Rascal just said.

Yes, he's quite right. We're just such an angry, disrespectful world.

Oh, we have those pockets of kindness and humanity but as the song of years ago said, "Why Can't We Be Friends?"

I mean, we are -- at least around here -- but we just seem to want to fight all the time. Heck, I'm guilty of that as well.

Thus I ignore a lot of stuff. I mean, I pick my battles. It would be unhealthy otherwise.

"Squeak!" my furry companion added as he likes to do, given that he often squeaks more than he meows. Or at least it seems like that.

Oh, but given he was asking about why being kind is so difficult, he should know (and he does) that common sense isn't common.

Four dead in Idaho. Three dead in Virginia. More injured. These are just the items that are being reported from this weekend.

We've dealt with this far too often. Thoughts and prayers are literally just that. They're nice to offer but, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't stop the senseless violence that we keep seeing and hearing about.

So, like I said, I'm not wading into the gun debate pool.

I am, however, wading into the be nicer pool.

Be nice. It's simple, right?

Rascal thinks so.

"Meow," he adds as we wrap up.

Which he should since he's trying to sleep.

After all, he's a cat.



No comments: