Thursday, November 24, 2022

Thanks.

 

The Traffic Light: the 2022 Edition (6:38 a.m.)

I didn't keep stats today. On anything. Not on the passing or the rushing.

Not on the sacks or the tackles.

Not on the hours and miles traveled.

I just know today was ... a day.

It all flashed through my brain as I drove home tonight.

I was awake before my alarm.

I was out the door and on 95 north as daylight was breaking.

The tradition of listening to "Alice's Restaurant Massacree" was achieved as I roared through Stamford and Norwalk.

I was at Westport with a cup of coffee in my hand around 7 a.m., ready to tell the story of Greenwich and Staples.

Internet? What internet? "Good luck with that," I was told.

Yes. I was really told that.

But, cool, we'll set up outside as we've done so many times. The weather was fine, so we'll deal.

We adjust. It's what we do.

And as for "luck," well I have friends in the right places. Thank you, Chris O'Shea (and Ben Talbott) for the assistance as we had perfect sound. We got internet and now I know where it is. Thus my stress was relieved.

Earlier, as Chris Erway and I stood at the great tailgate (thank you, all for the delicious breakfast sandwich and other goodies), I told myself that I simply had to work with what I could control. That is to say that I couldn't control having an internet connection at Staples High School.

But, as always, it all worked out.

And with that, I could concentrate on calling a pretty memorable football game.

Your "A-Team" broadcast crew: Adams, Erway

Fans -- listeners -- were so kind. Chris and I roared for each play that both teams made. We analyzed and strategized. We laughed but focused on the game. We worked in the names of listeners to thank them for the kindness.

When asked what I'm thankful for -- you know, on Thanksgiving -- Greenwich/Staples with a full stadium on a beautiful November day seems like a pretty good answer.

For Greenwich, today will leave a pit in their stomach as they lost by a point, 39-38. The Cardinals had a final chance but ... 

Things happen, friends. Snap the chin strap and buckle up for the playoffs beginning Tuesday at Cardinal Stadium.

Chris and I will be there.

Oh, but I'll there tomorrow morning for the GYFL Graduation Bowl at 10:30 on Robcasting Radio.

I'll do house things after that.

I'll also sleep. Maybe.

I realized that this was my 21st Thanksgiving Day broadcast. I've called three matchups over those years: Greenwich/Danbury, Darien/New Canaan, and Greenwich/Staples.

Lots of games and lots of memories.

But the balance of the day allowed Sean and me to have Thanksgiving dinner with family. On days like this, I wonder if I should still live in the Hudson Valley because I'm so often back in "the homeland."

I have no regrets, of course. I love my place here in Greenwich but I'm back in "the HV" a lot.

Like, today, when we raced across the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge to my cousin's house.

Plates were waiting with our names on them, courtesy of young Mr. Logan, who sprawled "Robby" on a piece of paper for me.

Ah, not the way I spell it, but who's going to argue with such things?

Turkey! Stuffing (minus celery)! Mashed potatoes! Rolls! Pie! Apple pumpkin squares!

Most importantly, a sense of family that I'm happy and comfortable with. A group that I laugh with.

Sean offering "Sean philosophy." It really should be a book.

And the thought of making that blasted drive all the way back home.

So that, friends, is what went through my mind as I made my way home. What exactly had I witnessed today?

Those things, along with a radio documentary I was listening to about the Beatles' studio work, kept me awake and alert enough to get home.

I know I looked utterly wiped out by the time we got to my cousin's house and I know I yawned a lot.

But, now that I'm back home, I can say with certainty that Thanksgiving 2022 turned out just fine.

No comments: