Thursday, July 01, 2021

Topics and reader engagement

 

The current version of the home office

I'm currently working on a video depo. I've done a bunch of these when I said I'd take the bullet and do one starting at night.

That means I have gone to bed as late as 4:45 a.m. (if my memory serves). To be clear, the exhaustion isn't pleasant but the money is.

So I'm sitting here pondering what to write tonight. It's funny what grabs readers and what doesn't. I realize a picture can be a pull and it's a hit or miss process as to what I'll use as an image to front a post.

I totally saw last night's post getting the crickets treatment. I knew that waiting on a thunderstorm (that never happened) wasn't exactly riveting and I don't think I did anything in the text to pull you in.

The night before, writing about interstates received very kind comments but not particularly big click numbers. I knew that one was coming.

The thing is, it's a double-edged sword. I started this thing almost 15 years ago and decided to just write. But, eventually, I see the numbers and wonder why I bother. Then I remind myself who cares who is reading? The exercise is to do this as an outlet.

Yet I took on this post-per-day/night commitment and there are those moments when I drift back into the "why do I bother?" lane.

So, yes, I'm just babbling tonight.

When I decided to do this, I believed that I didn't want to be a one-trick pony. So it wasn't going to be just a Yankees blog or travel or roads or music or movies. It was going to be whatever was on my brain and I've stuck to that.

That means I've written things that, if I were to go back, I'd probably like to delete or restate. I'm not entirely the same as I was in 2006 and, you know what? I'm really proud of that. I've evolved and I have basically my entire life. 

Repeat: I'm babbling and this is probably a post I should save for August when the blog officially hits 15.

I could drone on about things that grind my gears, like the continued use of the words "we" and "us" as fans when fans aren't on the field, nor are broadcasters. I struggle to use either of those words even in the office of the Renegades and I'm a small part of the organization.

It was drilled in my brain as a no-no by professionals. It was also drilled in my brain that, while cutesy little superstitions are nice, we're reporters first and foremost and our job is to say when one is a no-hitter or whatever.

Once more, I'm babbling and I will now stop before my head explodes.

And the job is done. Time for bed.

No comments: