Monday, July 12, 2021

Not my night

 

All I wanted was a peaceful evening.

But I had a show to do at 4 p.m., so I did it from the confines of the WGCH studio for the first time in months. Honestly, I don't know how long it's been.

At the same time, I was working on setting up the station's new iPhone, which also serves as an internet hot spot when we're out remotely.

It was nice to have reliable phones and Kato called for a segment. 

At 5 p.m., I jumped into an empty office and did "Renegades Weekly," the podcast I host with Zach Neubauer. We talked about...stuff. It's hard to remember what. I think there was talk of beating the Cyclones, some stuff about upcoming promotions, and I explained what the broadcasts will be like while the team is away (quick version: in Wilmington, no MILB.tv; in Aberdeen, MILB.tv with no voices).

After that ended, I resumed setting up the phone. It was a bit of a struggle but I eventually figured out a different approach.

At that point, I figured my peaceful evening would begin. Nah. Bob Small wanted dinner and I haven't sat down with him in months, if not a year plus. So I went out.

Finally, the drive home began, through the raindrops along the roads of backcountry Greenwich.

Oh, did I mention I also saw the new press box at Cardinal Stadium with my own eyes?  I'm trying to cautiously assume I'll be in there in September or sooner.

I couldn't get any closer for a better look so I settled for what I saw from Route 1...which goes from, oh for the love of God, Rob, who cares?

I just wanted to get home. I wanted to see the silly cat, who I know prefers it when I'm around. Why? I don't know.

Finally, I walked in the door, but not after getting the mail. I could hear Rascal jump from wherever he was sleeping. The audible thump brought a smile to my face and he greeted me at the top of the stairs.

The night just wasn't meant to be. I'm not sure I cared a lot about the Home Run Derby anyway. I have a moderate interest at best, I suppose. I watched a few minutes on my phone and that was it.

Then I agonized over what to write and this is what I came up with. Staggering brilliance, isn't it?

As always, tomorrow's another day.



No comments: