Saturday, July 24, 2021

Night two

 

The jumble of lineup cards

Time is very short to write a post tonight.

Time. There was plenty of that today.

I went on the air just before 10 am. I ended my day on the air at 10 pm. Some 26 innings of baseball, spread over four games, passed by.

I called every pitch. I handled analysis. I did all of it. 

Alone.

People scoff when I tell them I do this. "What? You call these tournaments solo?"

Quite often? Yes. It doesn't bother me unless I'm struggling.

Now, I'll be the first to admit, I was falling asleep during the third game -- Connecticut/New Hampshire -- as was basically the entire booth. It happens. That's a tough point in the life of a baseball tournament and the game itself dragged.

I rallied somehow and never did fall asleep.

I dig through things that might be of interest. I discussed the anniversary of the Pine Tar Game and how curious it is that we celebrate George Brett's meltdown even though he was going to physically assault an umpire. But, hey, cool, right?

I found other things. I kept an eye on the major league scoreboard, as well as the Renegades. I figured, I'm there, might as well promote that other gig, right?

Now we turn to a potentially stormy Sunday in which I'll keep plugging along. This is what I do. This is what I love to do.

I'm prepared for a delay. If we see any lightning, we'll be shut down, even temporarily.

We'll carry on tomorrow at 10...weather permitting.

No comments: