Tuesday, October 17, 2023

The San Francisco Treat

 

Outside SFO Airport

Hello from San Francisco.

Ah yes. Fisherman's Wharf, the Golden Gate Bridge, cable cars, In-N-Out Burger, the Presidio, the Pacific Ocean, Lombard Street, Coit Tower, Alcatraz, Oracle Park, and so much more.

It's warm here and we had a great flight. I'm glad I wore shorts because I'm so comfortable.

This is the place to be as we get ready for tomorrow's conference.

I wish we had time to rent a car and drive over the Golden Gate to head to "The Deuce" -- formally known as The 2am Club -- where the cover of "Sports" was shot 40 years ago.

Of course, I visited it in 2019 on my own but it would be a lot more fun with the Hunt Scanlon crew riding along. The vibe of that place fits us.

Time will not allow for that and, as it is, I'm probably wasting more time than I should by writing this post.

OK, I'm full of it. I'm actually writing this post from home in Connecticut on Monday night. I figure that in case time is tight I'll have the foundation of a post that I can lean on.

It was on that trip in 2019 -- one of my favorite days ever -- that I didn't write the post until after midnight Eastern time. However, it was 10:38 p.m. Pacific time when I posted it and, as such, I cut myself some slack in that it was still the same day where I was.

You can read that post here to understand why it was so special. I kid you not -- those couple of hours of driving around were spectacular. The whole day -- as exhausting as it was -- stands among my favorite days ever.

Consider how close I was to not getting he rental car given I was sort of run down from the trip and I was panicking about the cost of the rental. But thanks to the hotel not being able to give me a room, I decided to walk down to the Enterprise rental office.

And a day that was basically perfect was the result.

As I alluded to, my only regret was being alone. Oh, I don't mind traveling on my own but it's best when it can be shared with people who understand.

One day, perhaps we'll do that again and more. I still have yet to go across the Bay Bridge to Oakland and I really want to go to Alcatraz.

Maybe one of those will happen.

Once I'm actually in San Francisco.

Which I'm currently not.

But I'm glad I wrote this anyway.

*****

The Golden Gate is surrounded by fog

I'm now in San Francisco (for real). I'm typing the rest of this post on my phone so keep your expectations low. 

Our flight was uneventful. I'm just always happy when we get where we're going. 

It's been a day of checking the venue, checking into the hotel, and hanging around the Fisherman's Wharf area. 

We're here. Also, I'm tired. 

I'll get sleep and head to the conference tomorrow. 

No comments: