Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Jersey Boy

 


I packed a baseball jersey when I went to Florida.

No, I did not intend to get into a game.

Admittedly, it was different for me to do that as I don't normally consider a sports jersey part of my day-to-day ensemble. But still, with the hope of attending some kind of spring training activity, I hoped to break a jersey out. Plus I was in Florida and a jersey breathes nicely in the heat.

In truth, I went prepared with a t-shirt to wear underneath the jersey and, if spring training did not materialize then I'd just wear that.

But, in the end, there we were at LECOM Park in Bradenton for Yankees/Pirates. Now, admittedly, my cousin and I have some "rules" so had the Yankees not been playing, I would have been in violation.

These are things we talk about during a game. The rules slide a bit with a variety of circumstances to consider. However, I'm happy to say that I was not in violation.

Those wearing Mets' garb at said game? Yes, that's a violation (and we saw a couple). A big one but I digress.

Without digressing any further, the penalty for violation is simply being held in contempt and disdain by Judges Adams and Adams.

The bigger point is that, even at my age, I still love a sports jersey. I love the science of jerseys and the discussion of them.

As you probably know, I hated the Players Weekend atrocities and I've been completely underwhelmed with most of the City Connect jerseys in MLB. But I love the throwbacks, like the ones worn at the Field of Dreams games.

Jerseys often hang in my closet untouched. Like I said, I don't generally pop one on to go out. However, if a game is involved, well then sure. If I'm staying around the house it's possible.

Oh, and there are standards. From when I was a kid a level of authenticity was always important. A Yankees uniform with a name on the back? Former Renegades intern Spencer Pierce and I had long arguments about that topic. 

I mean, how can one justifiably buy a pinstriped jersey with "Mantle" or "Ruth" or "DiMaggio" or any other name on it?

My only exceptions have ever been the "shirsey" -- the t-shirt that wants to be a jersey -- and the batting practice tops that were de rigueur beginning in the late 1990s. To that end, I still own a Paul O'Neill from 1998.

But a pinstriped jersey? Good lord it ate at me to have my own child wearing one with a name on the back but we could find nothing else at that time. The failure I felt as a father!

And no to the Nike logo. I have other Nike items but don't have any jerseys.

I, personally, own three Yankees pinstriped beauties: the Bobby Murcer number two that I bought in one of the shops on River Ave. circa 2005 (yes, it's a Derek Jeter but it doesn't have Jeet's name on it), the number four Lou Gehrig from 1939 that is at least reminiscent of a Lou Gehrig 1939 jersey, and a faux Bobby Murcer number one from 1973 that includes the Yankee Stadium 50th anniversary patch.

I do not currently have a Yankees road jersey, though I had one back in the late 80s with 55 on it. Just because. Also, pinstripe jerseys were very difficult to find at that time.

For the record, it was the '73 Murcer jersey that I donned in Bradenton. Proudly.

That one -- even as measly as it is -- is basically a holy grail for me. Same with the Gehrig jersey. Obviously, Bobby Murcer means a lot to me and I've even had my eye on a 1975 Giants and a 1978 Cubs. But there's still the question of a name on the back so I've never pulled the trigger.

Lou Gehrig jerseys -- faithful reproductions -- have been available from Mitchell and Ness for $350 or so. Then there's eBay and the various knockoffs. As I've mentioned, I have one and it does the job.

But, sure, I'd love a true wool jersey. I often troll the pages of Ebbets Field Flannels and the wonderful things they create. They can dip back into the 1800s and the 20th century for all kinds of looks but nothing in the jersey world from the major leagues. They specialize in minor league and other fascinating items, including some colleges.

Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind to see if they could create a Fordham University baseball jersey with number 17 on the back. The red-headed center fielder wearing that found greater fame in the broadcast booth. But as much as a Vin Scully Fordham jersey would please me, the price feels a bit steep.

Oh and I marvel at the Roy Hobbs number nine jersey (from "The Natural") they make. Rick Zolzer has one and I drool every time I see it.

And if you want the Easton (PA) High School jersey that John Lennon wore on "The Mike Douglas Show" in 1972, then Ebbets Field Flannels is your place.

Yes, I realize many think people like me need to grow up. "Why do grown men wear sports jerseys?" comes the cry.

Well, why not? And who cares?

Honestly, it's nobody's business, thanks for asking. Like I said, I generally wear mine for games. I have several football jerseys that I pop on during the season to watch games. I also have a couple who have faded and they're mighty comfortable to sleep in.


That's a big factor: comfort. I have a black Renegades/Fenómenos Enmascarados del Valle de Hudson jersey that is incredibly comfortable to hang around the house in. Just one thing: no number on the back. But I've worn it to do PA announcing in for the Gades, especially on Copa nights when they break those jerseys out.

Plus I've gotten some good bargains. Back in the glory days of the VF Factory Outlet in Reading, PA, I got a Rutgers football jersey for $3.99 (or something like that). At the old Soffe warehouse in Fayetteville, NC, I got a mockup football jersey in a bin that I think says "Bulldogs" on it for maybe $1.99 and I wore it on obscenely hot days to mow the lawn in.

I was once given a Lehigh Valley IronPigs baseball jersey. It was an alternate style from what they wore on the field but I appreciated it. Admittedly, jerseys without numbers aren't my favorite (I have two numberless New York Rangers sweaters). Eventually, Sean and I were at an IronPigs game and I asked the girl in the shop if they'd put something on it. She asked and was told it was fine.

"Adams. 55" Cost: $20. Happy customer.



I have my logic and rules for this stuff. What can I say?

Oh, and no. The Cat does not have a jersey. Nor will he. Ice cream helmets are one thing. 

Now I have to decide what to wear tomorrow as we get to the most glorious of days on the sports calendar: opening day.

I will be right here tomorrow, enjoying the pomp and circumstance from the comfort of my chair.

So, while I can be judgemental about jersey-wearing with the "rules" I ask that you don't look askance at the person walking around tomorrow with, say, a Pete Alonso number 20 Mets jersey.

So long as it's not black.

Then judge away. 


No comments: