Saturday, June 04, 2022

Home and Burnt


I just returned to Greenwich after calling four girls lacrosse state championship games in New Jersey.

Oh, and I'm completely sunburnt because, well, I'm an idiot. Legs, arms, neckline, head (before I went to my car and got a hat).

But I digress.

I've called (or called with Chris Erway) girls lacrosse and wrestling championships in New Jersey in 2022.

I've also called FAA and New England championships in 2022.

How many CIAC titles in CONNECTICUT -- where I've obviously called more than other states COMBINED -- have I called in 2022?

That would be zero.

Would you not take that a little personally?

Basically, I see it happen all the time.

Cool. Thanks.

*****

Oh, yeah, so back to girls lax in NJ. You see, I strolled away without sunscreen and I left both of my famous "pods" in my attic.

Bah! Why should I walk back to the attic?! I'll have a booth!

Er.

Well, I suppose I could have had a booth but the producer/director asked to work upstairs. Sure, I probably could have taken a window inside but I try to pick my fights and just play along.

Oh, I really took the "L" on this one. No sunscreen. No hat. Limited ability to even protect equipment.

I'm now a lobster.

Oh, wait, there's more. The rosters were digital. As in, use your phone big boy! 

I could access my computer but since I was trying to keep it out of the sun and heat, well, you can see how that wouldn't work.

So I worked with my phone and memory to remember names.

This while baking in the sun and, thus, frying my brain.

Still there I was, calling eight halves of girls lacrosse plus one overtime session. Alone.

Nobody there to bail me out, We went on the air at just before 11 this morning and finished the last call at 7 p.m. There were short breaks in between games (and I sat in the booth for those) but don't kid yourself. It was all lax, all the time.

Eight hours of girls lacrosse.

While (stupidly) getting sunburned. 

Sure.

My disheartened, sunburned body is going to end the post here.



No comments: