Thursday, June 09, 2022

Baseball to Call

 

Jack Kaiser Stadium, 2019

The last baseball game I called was on May 17. I knew then and there that I'd miss it.

I always do.

More than anything -- since I was a little kid -- I've been fascinated by baseball broadcasting. It's just different. It's the perfect forum for telling stories, which I love to do.

Since then I've done seven lacrosse games. Each one had championship implications and I appreciate that high-level moment.

But it's June and I want more baseball. Oh, I'll take anything, of course. Hockey tourney in the summer? Basketball? Water polo? You know the deal. I'm your guy.

Yet when you consider the multiple circumstances, you can understand that I'm a bit hungry to call some baseball.

This evening, I got a pleasant last-minute request to be on the call for part of a New York State Catholic School state championship series.

It's a doubleheader beginning at 4:00 p.m. tomorrow. Chaminade and St. Joseph Collegiate play in the first game while Iona Prep and Monsignor Farrell play in the second game. The second game serves as the City championship while the first game is a state semifinal with the two winners meeting Saturday.

I was invited to do Saturday's game as well but I'd already committed to join Kevin Halpenny near Matamoras, PA for youth softball championships in the Delaware Valley. I called games out there last year and enjoyed myself so I jumped at the chance when Kevin asked me

I'm thrilled to add the two games on Friday night. I admit, especially now that I'm (fairly) settled into "The Presidential Suite" that I could use these broadcasts. If you've been following along you probably know I'm questioning my future in the broadcasting world. 


So the weekend is now full. As I said, I'm calling games Friday down in Queens. I'll be up and out first thing Saturday to drive to Pennsylvania (it's not a terrible drive since it's the first town across the border). Then, Sunday, I'll be back in the Hudson Valley to do public address for the Renegades.

So, yeah, a lot of driving. I even considered a hotel room Saturday night but, apparently, something is going on because prices are insane. So it's fine. I'll be content to come back to Greenwich Saturday night and hang out with the squeaky cat.

Hope you follow along.

Oh, and I ran out tonight to do some things. Nothing was accomplished, except for grabbing dinner. I knew what I wanted before I left the house: 

Sal's.

Look, I get it. Food, Music, Sports, TV, Movies. All subjective.

There's a constant (and, frankly, exhausting) debate about pizza, with Connecticut constantly waving their hands saying "We're number one!"

Oy.

But I went to Sal's in Mamaroneck, NY. I found parking and hiked to the restaurant. I stood on the line that went out the door. I got a regular and a Sicilian slice.

The regular was reheated. Not ideal but it proved what I already knew: Sal's reheated is still better than anything.

Including my new home state of Connecticut.

That's my opinion. 

The pizza was glorious. 

You enjoy yours and I'll enjoy mine.

No comments: