Saturday, April 23, 2022

You Never Give Me Your Money

 


The first time I went to London in 1998, I had one request: Abbey Road.

The iconic crosswalk.

The Beatles.

Oh yeah.

You might recall that I lost those pictures in the divorce though I was able to bring a few back to life digitally a year or two ago.

Today began quietly as everyone was asleep, except for me. I woke up at 4 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep. I gave up and was out before 8 a.m. to look for breakfast.

It occurred to me that, while on my own, I should see how far I was from Saville Row, site of Apple Corps and the famous rooftop concert by the lads.

Somehow I had never been there and it's silly because it's a short stroll. I walked quietly along the sidestreets, taking in the London morning.


I soon came upon a sign: Saville Row.

The magic number crept into my brain: three.

I looked to my right. An Abercrombie and Fitch sign is on the outside (though they have apparently closed).


Nonetheless, I had found an important piece of music history. I stood quietly, just past eight, and soaked it in. I wanted to pretend I could hear John, Paul, George, Ringo, and Billy Preston and they rolled through "Get Back" (and passed the audition) or "Don't Let Me Down" or any of the other songs they performed on 30 January 1969.


It was a brief moment of sweetness and I was beyond grateful for the relative silence.

After connecting with Walker Manning and grabbing breakfast (the best breakfast I've had here yet), we were joined by Anthony Pisano and Erik Boender.

Thus the four of us got on the tube at Green Park for the relatively short trip to St. John's Wood.

We turned right out of the Underground. We walked along Grove End Rd. Ahead sat a statue at a fork in the road. A quick turn the right and I could see the white wall with #GIVEPEACEACHANCE on it,

We'd made it. 


The crossroad.

It's not impressive at first. It's easy to look at and say, "That's it?"

Then you realize there's more. The fun of crossing it, taking pictures, and seeing the outside of the famed studio. A shop has opened since I was last there also.

But our Fab Four (minus Mike Hawkins, playing the role of Stu Sutcliffe) gathered in a line, got a good Yank to take our picture, and tried to cross the road.

We tried. Traffic gets held up and the moment is fleeting.

Walker was John.

Erik was Ringo.

I was Paul.

Anthony was George.


Since posting the picture I've been asked about going barefoot. Admittedly, I passed, but if you notice, I'm holding something.

On the album cover, McCartney holds a cigarette.

I opted for my glasses.

I also signed the wall, scratching my name and "Walrus."

We were there for a half-hour.

Maybe.

I couldn't be more grateful.

Oh, and I wore an Abbey Road T-shirt.

Just because.

It took 24 years to "Get Back" to where I once belonged. I hope it isn't that long before I return.

*****

Quick side note: part of the scene is, sadly, the intense amount of homelessness in the world. I've witnessed it in too many cities and far too often. I've seen a ton of it here. How do we get on the right side of eradicating it? It's a serious question that I'm not asking flippantly. I know the reasons for homelessness are varied but it's still heartbreaking.

No comments: