Monday, March 24, 2014

Blogging on HAN Radio

As part of my thing at HAN Radio, I want to occasionally add some writing to the mix.

So I did a little something here. It includes the same picture as above (thanks to Liz Skalka for taking it), and some thoughts on the crazy week that just ended.

It began with Greenwich beating New Britain in basketball. That was nothing.

In New Haven the next night, John Kovach and I watched EO Smith/Tolland topped Masuk, and Newtown take care of Tri Town (boys hockey). The next night, we saw Darien knock off Notre Dame-Fairfield, and Fairfield Prep take overtime to dispose of Notre Dame-West Haven.

Then came Thursday. I had the night off!

On Friday night, we called Daniel Hand's one-goal DII Championship win over Amity. John, Josh Fisher, and Paul Silverfarb helped me preside over, arguably, our best broadcast yet.

To Saturday.

It started with the emotional Newtown victory over Smith/Tolland for the DIII title. Again, one goal. Overtime. Chris Kaelin replaced Paul at ice side for this one.

John, Josh, and Paul then took a bag of equipment and set us up at Mohegan Sun. We'll get back to them in a moment.

Then in the Division I championship, Fairfield Prep got a goal midway through the third (just seconds after one had been waved off) to tie the game. They got the game-winner in OT. Kato and I couldn't believe what we were watching.

I left New Haven (the Yale Whale is such a cool place)

I had become a lightning rod for dramatic games!

In the meantime, Josh, John, and Paul began calling the Lauralton Hall/South Windsor girls Class LL championship at the Mohegan Sun Arena. Yes, that meant we were broadcasting from two different sites, with two different setups! It opens up more opportunities for us!

I thought I would join them at halftime, and maybe be the courtside reporter for the rest of the game. But, alas, no. I visited with Mr. Imus and his coffee.

I'll be the first to tell you I didn't like that feeling. But it all worked out.

I came back for my third call of the day - the Class LL boys championship between Bridgeport Central and Fairfield Prep.

By 11, we had finished, broken down the equipment, and had caught up with our significant others for a well-deserved beverage. We all had breakfast together on Sunday back at Mohegan Sun, then went our separate ways.

I won't forget this week for a long time. We've called 58 games since November 22. I've specifically called 56 of them.

Special times, indeed.

No comments: