Tuesday, November 07, 2023

You Never Know

 


Maybe I've told this story before and if you've heard it, please indulge me.

So, beginning in 1999, I worked for a company in Norwalk. While I wasn't doing broadcasting, it was more marking and data-based and it kept me close to Greenwich and WGCH to do radio work.

That came in handy since I was continuing to get more reps as a valued studio person and, eventually, a play-by-play announcer.

One November day in 2000 I got a call from our esteemed news director at the time, Jim Thompson. Jim had begun to utilize me as a backup new anchor so his call wasn't a complete surprise.

In this case, it was election day and he was asking if I would go to a campaign headquarters to be a reporter.

I was flabbergasted.

Sure, I had news chops and, generally, I have overall radio chops. But reporting on election night from a town and a state that I didn't know much about politically?

How would I prepare for such a thing?

I pushed back, saying that I didn't know anything about what I was covering but Jim was nonplussed. He needed my help and he would assist in making sure I didn't look like a fool.

I mean, that's the very thing. I didn't want to embarrass anyone, including the radio station.

But on election night 2000, the same night of hanging chads in Florida, I was standing the headquarters of Stephanie Sanchez, Democratic candidate for Congress in the 4th District. She was running against the Republican, the longtime incumbent.

I think Jim felt that given I worked in Norwalk and that he expected Sanchez to come up short, this was a soft landing for me.

I remember feeling like a complete fish out of water but I did as I was told. I called in shortly after 8 p.m. for my first "hit" of the evening. They are all the same: people filing in, lots of red, white, and blue, what we're expecting tonight, etc.

I exhaled.

Sanchez would eventually show up and a roar greeted her. I'd speak with her a few times and she was always kind.

Upon her arrival, I got in place to ask her to go on the air. Except, I wouldn't be doing the interview. 

Jim would, which was smart but I still took it as a challenge. That wouldn't happen again.

I stood by as supporters hugged her and a photographer snapped away. A day later, a coworker brought in a copy of the picture of Sanchez in full embrace, with a scowling person standing in the background.

Yup. I got busted. I'll post the picture if I can find it. I was somewhat embarrassed.

Anyway, I did get Sanchez on the air with Jim and I continued to report on numbers as they came in.

Eventually, Sanchez conceded and I got in position to air that as best as I could.

With that, I learned my work is done after the speeches.

I survived.

Wouldn't you know, I've been asked back to be a reporter on election night ever since? I've only missed a few years due to other duties, such as game broadcasts. 

I'll never admit it's my favorite thing because I still feel so out of touch but, at the same time, that challenges me.

Last year, for instance, Chris Erway joined me and it was like we could break into play-by-play. We've done that a couple of times and have been a solid professional duo.

Then laughing hysterically off the air.

Oh I've had nights where virtually nobody would talk to me. They'd either avoid eye contact or just brush me off.

Jim Campbell, who handles the other post on our WGCH coverage, does an outstanding job of getting interviews. Heck, I was with Republicans a few years ago and knew people in the room and still couldn't get a guest. 

Tonight, I will once again be among the GOP, and I might have Sean along to watch the whole thing. Chris can't make it this year even though he was interested. 

Safe to say, there's always next year and oh my I prefer to not think about next year.

So join us tonight at 8 p.m. as Tony Savino expertly anchors our coverage. He'll have guests in the studio as they break down the Greenwich, Connecticut, and national elections of note.

Jim will be at Democratic headquarters.

I'll be with the Republicans.

You can hear it all on WGCH at 1490 AM and online at wgch.com.

Not bad for the sports guy who was also just the guy running controls in the studio.

I tell students all the time to take every opportunity and run with it. You become more valuable that way.

That's why I've survived in this business.

That and my ability to adjust at the last minute. I've learned that's a skill that I don't give myself enough credit for.

Oh, and please vote. Regardless of the election, please use your voice however you choose, preferably with your conscience and not on a line.



No comments: