Thursday, November 09, 2023

Two Games? You Don't Say

 

3/24/14 -- Hockey setup in New Haven

I saw a member of the Play-by-Play group on Facebook post a video blog taking viewers along on his long day of broadcasting two football games.

Intrigued, I watched.

I'm not here to knock him at all. It was important to him so he broke down the whole thing, which was in addition to another post he put in the group before he did the two games.

To many of us, this is called "another day."

It got me thinking about the number of times that I've done something similar.

As in, oh, last Saturday.

Westhill/Greenwich at 1 p.m.

Trinity-Pawling/Brunswick at 6 p.m.

Eight quarters of football with a combined score of 67-8. I called the games alone. Of course, it's helpful that I had time to dash from Stamford to Greenwich to make a cup of coffee at home before heading to Brunswick (also in Greenwich, of course).

Not all days have been that easy-peasy.

3/24/14 -- Fairfield Prep won. Time to head to Mohegan Sun

There was the hockey and basketball weekend of 2014 that began on Friday night with a state championship hockey game between Daniel Hand and Amity in New Haven.

After going back to a hotel room in Shelton, I returned to New Haven the following more for Newtown/Smith-Tolland at 10 a.m. and Fairfield Pre/Darien at 2 p.m. Both were blistering state championship hockey games, with Newtown winning their title in overtime.

Exhausted but committed, I then packed up, jumped in my car, and drove to Mohegan Sun where I hurried into the arena to join my HAN Radio colleagues. They were already calling another game that I was going to jump on as a reporter but I got thrown out. 

By them. Not by security. Just wanted to clear that up.

So I cooled my heels with some Imus Bros. coffee and a Krispy Kreme donut before going back into the arena to call Bridgeport Central/Fairfield Prep at 8 p.m. Central was down 19 early in the second half before coming all the way back to win.

3/24/14 -- Bridgeport Central players climb into the stands
to celebrate their basketball championship

So, if you're keeping track, that was five games in 24 hours, and four on that Saturday alone. Plus I was there in time for the second half of a sixth if needed in any way.

Now, there are no medals to be handed out for this. There are occasional kind pats on the back and yes, sometimes I get a cookie.

But I love the process and the ability to present these games.

That's why I'm calling hockey tomorrow morning before heading to football tomorrow night.

Then football on Saturday afternoon.

Then four youth football games on Sunday.

That's why we do it what we do.

The video was an intriguing behind-the-scenes view of how this user conducted his day. That's his thing and he seemed satisfied.

3/24/14 -- Me, loving the chaos

I just have so many other stories. Let's see.

Greenwich football at Westhill before heading to Heritage Financial Park for Renegades baseball. Chris Erway finished the broadcast.

Greenwich football at Stamford High School heading to Heritage Financial Park for Renegades baseball. Chris Erway finished the broadcast.

Greenwich basketball at Greenwich High School before driving to Ridgefield for a Greenwich hockey game.

Trumbull hockey with Jeff Alterman before I had to leave him to join Chris Erway for the FCIAC wrestling championship in New Canaan.

Greenwich football before heading to Bridgeport for a Bluefish baseball game in the Atlantic League Championship.

Little League baseball in Trumbull in the morning. Then onto Babe Ruth baseball in Stamford and two more games there later. Or Babe Ruth baseball in Norwalk, packing up and going to Stamford for a Little League game before hustling back to Stamford for more Babe Ruth baseball.

A state football playoff game in West Haven before I drove down I-95 and changed in a rest area. Then I headed to Bridgeport to do a then-Bridgeport Sound Tigers hockey game.

The Sound Tigers required a more professional look for their broadcast.

I mean, these are the ones I'm thinking of off the top of my head. None of this includes the number of times I've done four Babe Ruth baseball games in a day or youth hockey before going back to my hotel and then returning later for the rest of the docket -- five games total.

I love telling these stories. No question about that. It's great fun to do this and the video in question inspired this post.

We all have these stories so I'm nothing special.

Despite writing a blog, that's where I leave it. I don't post it in groups for the attention.

It's not about me.

It's simply doing the job.

Because that's what I do.

I talk.

No comments: