Wednesday, November 08, 2023

The Ghost and Mr. Adams

 

A screenshot from today's show

I can understand the issue when reviewed logically.

My mother's Facebook account sprung to life today and, for a moment, raised a hair of concern.

Or chills.

Of course, for those new to the blog, my mother died in Sep 2020. She was a rather fanatical social media user. We can't speak of her social media account without saying it in her voice, using her intonation.

It was never Facebook. It was"Faaaaaaaacccccebook."

If you heard it, you knew it and didn't forget it.

But let's return to today.

I was hosting "Doubleheader" on WGCH, which also happens to air on Robcasting and Facebook Live. To be exact, the Facebook Live edition runs in a "raw" format, which is to say without any sound from the radio station. Thus, there are no commercials, theme music, or interaction with the studio.

This has nothing to do with the larger story but I felt it was worth repeating. And, to be very clear, the Facebook Live edition is simply in addition to the radio. It has always been a radio show first. I do know there are those who watch the Facebook feed and I'm all for trying to attract more eyes and ears to the audience.

I have access to several groups and accounts in my own Facebook world. That includes WGCH, Robcasting, and so on.

And my mother's account.

I'll log in occasionally to check on things there. I'll clear up any notifications and make sure everything is up to speed. On rare occasions, I'll post -- noting that it's me doing so -- to thank users who have wished her a happy birthday.

But, in this case, I accidentally switched over to her account. The moment I did that, my Facebook Live feed of today's "Doubleheader" shut down.

I immediately set up a new Facebook Live feed and proceeded with the show.

Then things began to buzz (thanks, Mrs. D).

Oh, I had gone back on the air but on my mom's account. Oops.

If you're not expecting it, it's a little disconcerting to see the account of someone who has passed spring back to life -- literally.

However, there was no ghost or divine message from Nancy, though I will tell you I used to watch Casper the Friendly Ghost with her when I was little.

But, today, it was just me. 

Her idiotic son.

Rushing to get his dumb radio show back live on social media.

It was purely a dumb, silly mistake.

I also have access to her Twitter/X account, which she basically never used. I often joked about taking that over also but, no, I never have. So if that springs to life, then we'll really have something to talk about.

While I like doing what I can to keep my parents very much in the present, this was not one of them.

Thank you for your concern.

We now return to our regularly scheduled program.

*****

I wasn't supposed to do "Doubleheader" today because Brunswick had a home soccer match. However, they played at Cosby Field and that presents an issue.

The LocalLive camera at Cosby Field doesn't have an audio jack for me to plug into. In fact, a videographer shows up for football and lacrosse games there so I run audio to them. But, in this case, no videographer meant no audio.

I could have done an audio-only broadcast and considered doing that but, honestly, not many would listen to it.

Thanks again to Brunswick Soccer for having me around for the games that I did get to call. I enjoy it, especially since the athletes appreciate it and I appreciate the opportunity to keep sharpening my soccer skills.

We'll see you next year.


No comments: