Sunday, November 12, 2023

Talking is not Recommended

 

Cardinal Stadium, 8 a.m.

My throat hurts.

You didn't ask but I'm telling you.

Nearly eight hours of talking on the air will cause that.

My marathon stretch of seven games -- one hockey and six football -- came to an end at 4 p.m. this afternoon.

I worked three of those games alone and four with Chris Erway.

There were goals and penalties and scuffles and a comeback and then more goals on Friday morning.

Then there were touchdowns and turnovers and tackles the rest of the way.

Brunswick got a last-second field goal to win

And a game-winning walk-off field goal -- the second one I've called in the fall of 2023.

There were emotions. Highs. Lows. Wins. Losses.

Thrills of victory and agony of defeat.

It was all capped off by four games today. In fact, let's list all seven.

1. Friday, 10 a.m.: New York Apple Core at Connecticut Roughriders hockey (Apple Core won 7-4)

2. Friday, 7 p.m.: Ridgefield at Greenwich football (Greenwich won 35-0)

3. Saturday, 4 p.m.: Williston-Northampton at Brunswick football (Brunswick won 24-22)

4. Sunday, 8:30 a.m.: GYFL Flag Football championship (Generals 27, Mavericks 7)

5. Sunday, 10 a.m.: GYFL Bantam championship (Crushers 19, Raiders 18)

6. Sunday, Noon: GYFL Junior championship (Generals 25, Crushers 0)

7. Sunday, 2 p.m.: GYFL Senior championship (Generals 20, Crushers 6)

There is no reward for this other than I did my job, spoke my words, and went home proud of the accomplishment.

I mean, I got some food -- including two large Jersey Mike's sandwiches. Oh, and there's money to be paid. We shouldn't do this for free (though there are circumstances).

And there was one interview, with Greenwich head coach Tony Morello. 

There were no interviews today because I'm sure the kids were content to just celebrate and go home without climbing to a press box to talk to some radio guy. I don't blame them. Too much gets put on interviews.

None of this makes me special. It doesn't make any of us special. We did our jobs.

I enjoyed giving the kids -- spaced in age from first graders to 20-somethings -- every ounce of what I had.

But at 4 p.m. this afternoon, after going off the air, I was talked out.

I was content to walk out of Cardinal Stadium with Chris Erway, laughing at our random nonsense before essentially shutting down.

I walked into the apartment, briefly caught up with Sean -- who was an incredible studio operator for today's games -- then crashed. 

No talking.

Honestly, I'd prefer to not even be thinking but that's just not me.

I haven't turned the TV on.

I even drifted to sleep for a few minutes.

The week ahead won't have a game in it but it will have other stresses.

The Greenwich Old Timers banquet is Thursday. My voice, energy, and stamina will need to return for that and it will.

In fact, I'll likely be fine by tomorrow.

But tonight I'd just like some peace.

I'm sure we'd all like that.

It was all wonderful. I enjoyed it.

Each game gave something.

Friday morning's hockey game was fast-paced with a challenging broadcast setup and lots of goals.

Friday night's football game was the first time Chris and I had worked together in a month and found the Cardinals remaining on top of the Connecticut football world.

Saturday's Brunswick season-ender had twists and turns, including Williston Northampton going for two and putting themselves up one late. But the Bruins furiously drove down the field before Oliver Reynolds ended his high school career with a 29-yard field goal to win it.

The flag football championship game this morning was the first of its kind for the GYFL. While we had option of not broadcasting it, I liked the challenge of trying it. Sure, it was awkward in spots but I gave it all I had. It was an honor to handle the call.

The bantam game was the game of the day with a one-point difference.

The junior game was played exceptionally with timely passes and strong running.

The senior game featured five touchdowns for Jake Leonard, whom I expect to see in a Greenwich High School uniform soon.

Anyway, I'm extremely proud but also tapped out.

A new week awaits.

New issues. New opportunities.

But, tonight, I'm out.

*****

OK, I'm out, but not before I had to update my bio to give to the Greenwich Old Timers for their banquet program.

I mean, given I'm not into being "about me," writing a bio is fairly painful. How does one encapsulate a career or a life?

Thus the conundrum.

Oh, and a headshot. I don't know what a good or appropriate picture of me is.

Anyway, it's done, but yeah.

That.

No comments: