Saturday, November 04, 2023

Two Game Day

 

First stop: Westhill High School

Reality returned with a thump this morning.

The cat tried to have me up to feed him at 4 a.m. I declined.

I tossed and turned and stayed in bed a bit longer, finally giving in.

I had two games to prepare for so it was just as I well as I got down to work.

Rosters were procured, scorecards were created, and I considered taking my printer outside like the scene in Office Space where Peter, Michael, and Samir smash their faulty one.

Then, a flash from the heavens presented itself in the form of the Brunswick winter schedules! I quickly went to work on typing them into my spreadsheet to begin the task of picking which games I would cover. 

Oh, and I added Greenwich basketball as well, though I'm waiting for the finished hockey rosters also. I'm trying to get it all back on the air in some form. It's time for us to do much better.

Anyway, time was ticking down so I packed up and went to Stamford for the first game of the day, as Greenwich played Westhill.

In short, the Vikings have never beaten Greenwich. The scores have rarely been close and today was no exception.

But first, I watched the Senior Day ceremony when I made a realization. The roster I had was absolutely, completely wrong. The public address announcer introduced players that I didn't see on my roster.

It turns out he had the ability to print me up a correct roster and I was happy to email him a copy of the Greenwich one. That made for a pleasant visit to Westhill's press box.

Rosters, friends. In numerical order. And accurate, please. It makes a huge difference.

As for the game, well, Greenwich continued their winning ways. It was 7-0 early and 22-0 after the first quarter. The final score was 43-8.

With the clock having run out quickly, I recorded my world-famous postgame interview and got back in the car before driving back to Greenwich. In fact, I had enough time to run home and make a cup of coffee.

I needed an energy boost.

After a quick visit with Sean, I was out the door again with java in hand. I then stopped for a late lunch before heading to Brunswick.

Next stop: Cosby Field

It was Senior Night for the Bruins and the ceremony was in full swing. The seniors were honored and I watched from the stands as it went on.

At 7 p.m. it was time for game two, as the Bruins hosted Trinity-Pawling. This is not a vintage T-P team, though they're a spirited bunch.

The Bruins had more answers, taking the game 24-0. They play again next Saturday to wrap up the season against Williston Northampton.

Greenwich plays at home next Friday for Senior Night as they host Ridgefield. Chris Erway and I will get Jersey Mike's sandwiches!

Football and the fall sports season are quickly winding down. Thanksgiving will soon be here and any playoffs to cover will follow.

Hockey and basketball will soon be here and that's why I'm pulling those schedules together. That task will carry into tomorrow.

But, today, it was well over four hours of calling football alone. I expect no praise for this as I was just doing my job.

People who don't understand think doing two games in a day is nuts. I get that, but it doesn't really bother me, especially when there's sufficient time between the contests. At no point did I feel rushed trying to get from Westhill to Brunswick.

Many of my broadcasting brethren do this a lot. I thrive on it.

In fact, it all worked great. I had plenty of room in Westhill's booth and had my usual spot at Wick.

Greenwich and Brunswick each got wins to make the home fans happy.

So I'm back home and ready to take it easy. I'm pleased both games went off well but I'll admit I'm pretty tired.

Tomorrow will be a low-key day as I concentrate on these schedules.

At least I think it will be low-key.

It's time to sleep.

No comments: