Thursday, November 23, 2023

Thankful

 


The food is consumed.

Turkey, stuffing, cornbread, and so on. Of course, earlier in the day I had bacon, egg, and cheese with chili on a roll.

That's Thanksgiving, 2023, friends.

It started early. 

Way too early.

It wasn't The Cat's fault.

It was mine, as my body elected to wake up around 3:30 and not let me get back to sleep.

I tried. Oh, I tried, before giving up.

But I was ready and we were out the door just after 7:15.

We went to Greenwich High School and the day was a cold one.

So we waited for the breakfast sandwiches to finish cooking and chatted with friends.

Chris Erway, Sean, and I were chilly but content. Thanksgiving is such a great day for quality games, potential payoff clinching, seeing returning alums, and food, of course. It would truly be a shame if Connecticut eliminated such a great tradition.

We headed to Cardinal Stadium and ran into GHS athletic director Peter Georgiou who made sure our booth got unlocked. Once inside, we got the heat fired up and worked on setting up.

That didn't take long and I'm thrilled.

On the field, we chatted with coaches, went through storylines of note, and were ready to go on the air by 9:50 a.m.

There's something about the Thanksgiving broadcast that, unless there are complete disasters, are among the best of the year.

Chris and I felt sharp. We felt strong.

We felt like "The A-Team."

On the field, well, Greenwich played their worst game of the year. Everything is fixable going into the playoffs, but the Wreckers walked out of Greenwich with a 24-13 victory.

Both teams will be in action next Tuesday night as the playoffs begin. For Greenwich, they'll be at home to (likely) play Stamford. The Black Knights are a great story as they have not been to the playoffs since 1995. 

Give me all of that.

We'll get the official playoff word tomorrow. Plus I'll be back at GHS for the GYFL Graduation Bowl. Game time is 10:30 so I hope you'll join me for the broadcast on Robcasting.

Following today's game, Sean and I went to my sister's for Thanksgiving. Other members of the family were on hand for food and laughs and throwing a football around.

While I'm traditionally a holiday party pooper, I'll admit that's mostly due to the stress of the circumstances. There was none of that today.

It was loose, fun, and comfortable. That's all I can ask.

It's nice to feel a level of blessed about family. It's nice to feel loved.

We also had a great conversation on things that were the best and worst of the last year. The answers were intriguing.

We're home now and while I have football on I'm ready for sleep.

There will be more football tomorrow.

No comments: