Thursday, November 30, 2023

The Printer Graveyard


 It's amazing how important the home office is.

I've had one for years, in fact, basically since I was a kid for studying purposes.

But, eventually, and especially with working from home for radio and other jobs, a true home office is a necessity.

To that end, what was once on the desk has evolved. There was always a phone but now it's a cell phone, for instance.

But there wasn't always a printer. I remember the days -- before I owned a computer -- when I would actually go to my office in White Plains on the weekend to type papers for college. Plus I could use the printer while I was there.

Eventually, the home PC and printer market became more affordable.

I've had several printers over the years and, with my work in sports broadcasting, I have to be able to print.

There are rosters and scoresheets and notes to be generated.

Until a few weeks ago, I had a Canon printer that my mom had bought. Or, more accurately, I still have it. 

In that scenario, she might buy it but it was generally up to me to set up and maintain.

She bought another printer with a deal from HP to charge for ink on a subscription basis as needed, but if we only printed 15 pages or under a month, then everything was free.

OK, cool. Guess what printer rarely gets used? Tonight, in fact, it's not working at all as the quality is garbage.

When the Canon printer began giving me trouble, Sean remembered that he had another one at his mother's house. As he has all but moved here, he thought he'd bring the printer to Greenwich.

Well, it's here, and on the first page I tried to print, the quality was bad. So it was time to install the fresh print cartridges that he also brought with him.

Cool. 

I diligently reset everything and the printer immediately beeped at me.



"Non-HP Chip Detected."

It turns out that the cartridges he brought here weren't from HP. They came from another vendor, no doubt at a lower price. I had done the same a few times with the Canon printer and had success.

But HP has this chip thing that forces you to buy HP ink or the printer will not function.

I've searched everywhere for a workaround and, frankly, there's none.

I have read that downgrading the firmware is an option but can't find how to do it or the proper firmware to download.

There's no question the simplest answer is to say that HP is dirty for doing this and that they'll lose a customer in the process. I get that they want their ink to be the first choice but if your prices are obnoxious (and they are) then don't play like this when customers reach for other options.

So I'm pricing printers. I'm also looking at printers who would take the ink for the Canon printer.

And if anyone wants a printer, even for parts, I guess let me know because it might be available.

All is not lost because, in the interim, I've been going to WGCH to print my scoresheet, rosters, and notes.

I have at least one more football game. 

And, oh yeah, I've added a hockey game as well.

On Saturday, I'm heading down to New Jersey to do the New Jersey Rockets of the USHL Premier League.

I see it as a new experience and a new contact. From there, you never know what comes of it.

Plus I can get Wawa.

Before we close, if Greenwich wins their football semifinal on Sunday, they'll play in the state championship on Saturday, Dec 9 at 5:00 at Arute Field in New Britain.

I imagine I'll have more to say if they get to play in that game, so we'll wait.

I'll have more things to try to print.

No comments: