Sunday, November 26, 2023

History Inspires the Future

 

2004

Generally, I enjoy seeing my memories pop up on social media.

Obviously, memories are a dangerous world to be in. One can't live in the past but, in the right context, they turn into stories and cautionary tales.

So, as I scrolled through my memories on Timehop this morning, I went through the usual cross-section of good, bad, and indifferent.

There was an article from 2019 about me becoming the Renegades' play-by-play announcer. That was special. The story hits a bit different now.

And then there were pictures over the past few days of the traffic light at the junction of Baldwin Place Road and U.S. 6 just outside of Mahopac. I tried to take that picture every year on Thanksgiving morning as I began my drive to either Westport, Greenwich, or Stamford for the football games.

Today, I also came across pictures from Syracuse, NY.

Once upon a time, I called three New York State football championships.

It was a different era for WGCH Radio. A different ownership. A different approach.

We dabbled in broadcasting games outside of Greenwich, broadening our horizon to cover Port Chester, Rye, and Harrison high schools. We also tried a short run with the high schools in Stamford as well. This is also when we tried to do more with Brunswick.

Recognizing nobody else in the region was providing coverage of these teams, we tried to capitalize. With Rye and Harrison, we had one of the premier football rivalries in the region as well as two perennial playoff teams. 

To that end, Harrison made a run in 2002, leading us to broadcast their regional and semifinal wins at Dietz Stadium in Kingston. From there, we were given the green light to go to what was then known as the Carrier Dome in Syracuse.

Mark Rosen, Sean Kilklelly, and I climbed into our station van and made the four-hour drive, including through snow. We stayed in a nice Hampton Inn, and went to the dome the next morning.

Harrison gave us a classic, rallying to beat Chenango Forks on a game-ending 30-yard field goal on Pete Kohlasch.

Talk about living the dream. 

Selfishly, we lived the dream also, being allowed by a member of the dome staff to go to the field and throw a football around. We were like kids.

It was tough to leave after the broadcast, just as I felt at Fenway Park in 2008.

We again battled insane snow all the way across the New York State Thruway before stopping for dinner in Albany. We also had awful wiper blades and a non-functioning windshield reservoir. I had to stop occasionally and wipe the window down with snow.

These are stories I wouldn't trade. 

That game was rebroadcast by WGCH management a few days later. It was a proud moment for all involved.

Rye would lead us back to the dome in 2003, also against Chenango Forks. Mark Rosen and I traveled solo this time, and I promised ownership that we'd keep costs low. To that end, Mark and stayed at a Motel 6. 

For the record, I'd prefer to never do that again. I remember I traveled without something that would normally be included in a hotel room (probably shampoo) and I had to go out to find some.

I went to a Wegmans. That was good.

But, yeah, the hotel was a sketchy place.

The game also didn't have the same drama as Forks shut out Rye for the title. But the experience was still exceptional.

2004

We got to do it once more in 2004, as Rye and Chenango Forks met again. This time, my crazy idea was that since the game was in the middle of the day, Tom Kane, Matt Hamilton, and I would go up and back and not stay over.

If you know me, then you know this isn't a surprise.

Again, we got an early start. Tom drove the van from Greenwich to Mahopac and I did the rest of the driving.

In this case, we got there nice and early and the staff decided to give us a hard time, telling us we couldn't have our booth until within an hour before kickoff. Thus we'd have two hours to kill.

Needless to say, I protested. Politely.

We got in. Part of my goal was to get Matt -- then, a a high schooler at Greenwich and a big Syracuse fan -- down to the field. I knew what it meant to him.

But the setup was also more involved back then. There were more things to carry and connect and it probably took upwards of an hour to have it set to my standards.

Yes, the breakdown took every bit as long if not longer in part because I'm normally worn out after a broadcast.

But the experience felt professional. We got our own individual booth, with room for all of us to spread out. We had stat sheets available to us after each quarter. We even had snacks -- drinks and cookies, as I recall. 

We had internet and phone lines -- and both were important at that time.

There was also a microphone hookup to air the comments of the officials.

It sounded the way it should.

The game, again, was a dud. Forks dominated Rye and, after dinner, we began the slog back home.

Oh, and for the record, we dealt with at least some snow on each of these three trips.

Alas, nothing lasts forever. Rye went back to the dome in 2005 and we did not.

Cost, ownership, etc.

In fact, we haven't been back since 2004.

Someone on NFHS Network -- a video streaming service that you have to pay to watch -- will call the championship games next weekend when Section One teams Carmel, Somers, and (yes) Rye play for titles.

I'd love to be there, giving listeners the radio call I think they'd be happy with. I mean, Chris Erway and I would be pretty damn great.

It costs money to do these things. It takes sponsors.

I, however, am not a salesperson.

I've literally begged to see us become something like that radio station of the early 2000s. 

I know local radio still matters, especially when it comes to local sports. I watch the schedule that Mike Hirn and my friends in Ohio have and it makes me insane. They get the sponsors and they all tell me they have plenty of games -- and have even thrown it out there for me to come out and help them.

No, I'm not moving to Ohio but don't be surprised if I figure out a way to do a guest appearance. If you know me, then you know I would do it.

Closer to home, I see the schedule that Kevin Halpenny and company assemble in the Port Jervis, NY area. We should be able to do that around here, working with LocalLive or anyone else for an immersive multimedia experience of radio and video.

Greenwich will be our focus this week of course, as they always have. Even in the middle of covering these teams, Greenwich High has remained the priority for WGCH. I've been a part of almost every GHS football playoff/championship game since 1999, only missing one.

I'll be at Cardinal Stadium on Tuesday for the Stamford/Greenwich tilt. If the Cardinals win, we'll be back on Sunday for the semifinal game. If they win that, Chris and I will go wherever the state championship game is.

For the record, Chris and I would be doing the radio call. NFHS will have someone else doing the video stream and I'll leave opinions on that to others. Believe me, I've heard plenty.

I've called more New Jersey championships recently than I have in Connecticut. That seems crazy but so be it.

My goal will always be to get WGCH (and Robcasting) to be a go-to for big sports broadcasts.

These pictures reminded me of what can be.

To get there will require a lot of work.

No comments: