Wednesday, November 01, 2023

Hello, November

 


The candy corn is gone and, just as quickly, the shrieking sound of Mariah Carey has taken its place.

Blech.

November is when the days get shorter and the lights get brighter.

It also gets colder.

It's when baseball officially puts the tarp on the season and the NFL, NHL, and NBA heat up.

It's also when I complete another year in this life but that is truly not relevant.

But it's a month that is quite busy. Over these next 30 days, we'll see numerous football broadcasts, including a Thanksgiving tradition and the playoffs. Yes, Greenwich will be participating.

Brunswick will wrap up its 2023 football and soccer campaigns during the month.

Oh, and I'll start figuring out my plan for winter coverage. I'll speak quite plainly: I've sent schedules to WGCH to see if we can focus on things other than postgame interviews. In my extensive research, I've found our audience wants game broadcasts. Imagine that?

Often, I get other games thrown my way. While I can't do them, I was just offered field hockey championships in New Jersey. 

New Jersey. 

I get asked to call championships where I can be a part of the Garden (State) party frequently.

I worked hard for that pun.

I enjoy those NJ calls when I can do them but am truly baffled why we're not doing more closer to home.

If anyone knows what can get us out of Connecticut broadcasting jail, please advise.

It's not like we're newbies who don't know the state or are away at college for most of the year or whatever. Chris and I literally call games in Connecticut. We call -- gasp -- high school games here.

November will also feature GYFL events, with the youth football league championships and the Graduation Bowl. Those will air either on WGCH or Robcasting (or both).

Additionally, the Greenwich Old Timer's Award Dinner is this month. I've been hesitant to say that I will be serving as emcee but I think it's time to admit that I will serving as emcee, taking over for Mark Yusko. The details need to get ironed out but I know the routine and so long as that hasn't changed we should be fine.

Of course, I'm off to Pittsburgh for two days, so let's throw that into the November stuffing.

Again, I work hard on these puns.

There are myriad shows and podcasts as well, with episodes of "The Clubhouse" (like tonight at 7 p.m.) and "Doubleheader" throughout the month.

Hopefully, we'll get more Boomslang basketball on as well.

And whatever else falls to us. People frequently assume "you're too busy" (I hear it all the time) but just ask. You never know what magic I can work.

Lastly, of course, are the holidays. I don't mind Thanksgiving to an extent (mostly because of football). Christmas is a different beast. So, once again, let's just survive it and get to January in one piece.

So, there you have it, November. Be good to us.

Survival would be nice.

Happiness would be best.

No comments: