Thursday, November 16, 2023

Be Quick (and Save My Voice)

 

Stamford Hilton ballroom

The Greenwich Old Timer's awards banquet is tonight in Stamford.

A year after being told I'd be the master of ceremonies/Toastmaster, I'm here to say that I'm officially just that.

So, I'm hurrying to put a speech together including a toast and any other necessary comments.

I'm stepping in for Mark Yusko, who only hosted the last 32 times. So, hey, no pressure replacing a guy who is a well-connected Greenwich "townie" with a guy who moved to Greenwich 18 months ago and works in Greenwich. But, otherwise, was a lifelong New Yorker.

But I learned a ton watching Mark host in previous years and have also learned plenty from my own work with softball banquets for Altria, sports banquets here in Greenwich, and the now-many I have hosted for Hunt Scanlon.

Like doing play-by-play, it's important to keep things entertaining and moving. Also, the ability to adjust on the fly is important. Sure, there's a script. Sure, there's preparation, but changes happen.

It's also important that I don't attach myself to John Filippelli of the YES Network, who is among the honorees tonight.

"So, hey, um, do you have any openings for a play-by-play guy?"

No. Bad Rob. Don't do that!

In the meantime, the speech is continuing to be written, I'm currently getting the wrinkles out of my shirt, making lunch and, oh yeah, preparing to record a Hunt Scanlon podcast at 2 p.m.

Of course. Because I'm me.

We won't even get into how I've been asked to pull together a report to air on WGCH tomorrow. Nah. Let's leave that tidbit right there.

This is a good challenge and I'm certainly a bit anxious or, dare I say, nervous. That's because these are good nerves as I've explained many times. It's the nerves of wanting to do a good job, especially in a new role.

But, regardless of how many times I've done this, there is still a pit in my stomach when I step to the microphone for Hunt Scanlon. No matter how prepared I am and no matter how many times I've reviewed the script, there's still bound to be something.

Or the audience is difficult to settle down. That's an Old Timer's tradition and I've learned handling that from watching Mark.

So, more to do. Maybe more to say tomorrow.

Oh, and about tomorrow, it will be a busy one. I've been asked to call the regional football games in New York State at Mahopac High School. I've pulled the rosters together and (think) I'm ready for the first game at 4 p.m. as Burke Catholic plays Haldane.

Then it's Averill Park and Somers at 7 p.m.

Then, on Saturday it's O'Neill and Bronxville at noon, followed by Shenendehowa and Carmel at 3 p.m.

All on NFHS (and wherever you get your Rob content).

Keep your fingers crossed that my voice survives.



No comments: