Tuesday, April 04, 2023

Today Was the Home Opener

 


I think I'm just going to post a few pictures and walk away for the night.

It felt great to call a baseball game but there were tech issues and nobody could hear me on the video broadcast. And roster issues and other stuff and none of it matters.

So I called it on Robcasting. I like doing a radio call and I like baseball.

This is what we do. We take the lemons and make lemonade.

Otherwise, it was baseball. Wonderful, glorious baseball.

It was a 1-0 pitchers duel between the two teams. Nine hurlers took to the mound among Brunswick and Kennedy Catholic. There were six hits total in the game.

Oh, and no pitch clock, no larger bases, no limit on throws to first, and so on. 

The game took exactly two hours and I didn't feel constricted by time because my stories aren't the star of the blasted game. The game is the star and we need to stop whining about it.

Remembering Tim Daly

Plus, it was an emotional day as the Bruins family dedicated the bullpen in honor of Tim Daly. Tim had been the pitching coach for the Bruins and died last December. He was a wonderful man who loved Brunswick, the players, and the game of baseball.

The bullpen dedication was very sweet in that the team went out to the bullpen followed by fans and loved ones. No on spoke as the team gathered in a circle and took a knee. They spent a moment in reflection before leaving a flower on the wall of the bullpen where a new plaque had been installed.

Then they went about warming up for the game.

I paid my respects before walking the perimeter of the outfield to my spot to set up the camera and call the game.

And so the game goes on. Sports soothe us and raise us up.

It struck me during the broadcast that this was my first baseball call since Vin Scully died. There's profound sadness in that entire sentence but I feel grateful to simply be back working the sport that is my first love. I don't belong in the same sentence as Vin.

I wish the broadcast worked more smoothly but it was out of my control. It will get better for the second game.

I was happy to be back in my happiest place.

A baseball booth.

So, yes, it's probably best to just enjoy that I called a game today and leave it at that.

No comments: