Sunday, April 09, 2023

A New Ballgame

 


The anxiety built as I cruised along I-84 in the Hudson Valley.

I hadn't been into the old hood in several weeks since there don't appear to be any future editions of the sports show I used to be a part of on Monday nights. With no sponsor, well, that ends that.

("Doubleheader" currently has no sponsors either. Inquire within.)

I pulled off at the place marked Exit 23 on the Taconic State Parkway to grab coffee and a sandwich. But that was it. There was no time -- or need -- to drive down to Longview Drive and see the updates on my parent's old house.

I was on my way to work my first Hudson Valley Renegades game of 2023.

So, yeah, anxiety. I get it before the first broadcast of a season and in lots of places. "Good nerves," I call them.

Will I be stopped at the parking gate? (No)

How will I get into the stadium? (I'll walk right in)

Who will be working in the booth with me? (A great group of people)

Will I sound OK? (That's always up for debate and in the eye of the beholder)

You know, stuff like that.

So I grabbed a parking spot and walked in as if it hadn't been seven months since I was last there.

I went straight to the booth where my friend "Fish" was serving as trainer for the booth producer (Eric) and the "Click Effects" guy (Mike, or "Mikey Clicks"). Click Effects is the system that runs most of the sounds you hear in the stadium, like sound effects and music and so on.

Then we had Richard ramping up to speed on Crossfire, which is what runs the video board and the other sounds not controlled by Click Effects. Zach was training him.

In the middle -- literally -- of all of that was me.

My job -- essentially -- is to stick to the script and get the reads done. In some ways, it feels like conference moderating for Hunt Scanlon. I handle the introductions and keep things moving in a timely manner. 

Except it's sports and they can go into extra innings.

As it did today.


There were hiccups. There are things we could all do better. For many in the booth, today was their first time. For me, it was my first time since last September. There will be a learning curve and a ramping up.

Still, I'm hopeful that the patrons at Heritage Financial Park didn't notice anything other than a fun time at the old ball game.

We had plenty of fun in the booth. We laughed a lot and that will always put me at ease.

Oh, and Sean was there, a few doors down, running his camera in the empty visiting radio booth. Ironically, he was in that booth as a six-year-old when he accompanied me to broadcasts with Sean Ford back in the day. Now, he works there.

Also, the ballpark looked fantastic as the first phase of improvements have taken shape. There's more to come to really inject a shot of energy into the place.

The Gades had the lead and lost the lead and, eventually, lost the game in the 10th inning. That's baseball for ya, as a wise man frequently says.

But there were plenty of smiling faces and the Easter Bunny was there and there were dogs of all sizes strolling for "Bark at the Park" and the weather was nice. Kids ran the bases after the game was over and there was an Easter egg hunt.

Laughter, baseball, job well done. 

Along with many faces that I was so happy to see. Any anxiety quickly melted away with the hugs and handshakes of seeing friends after many months.

We'll fix whatever hiccups that occurred as the season goes along because we care about the final product.

I drove away pleased. 

Pleased to be back in the Hudson Valley.

Pleased to contribute to baseball.

Pleased to have this be my Easter Sunday.

*****

One more thing about Easter Sunday is that it was the final day of a tradition unlike any other.

Yes, of course, I mean The Masters.

Congratulations to Jon Rahm on his convincing victory and wow did Phil Mickelson show that the old boy can still play some golf?

I'm a ceremonial guy and I could do a whole extra post on this. I love lineup introductions on the baselines and the awarding of the Stanley Cup and other less-"manufactured" celebrations. The Super Bowl, for instance, is ridiculous but I digress. 

So with that in mind, I am all in on The Masters. From the moment the winner sinks the crowning shot on the 72nd hole to the small ceremony in Butler Cabin with Jim Nantz cooing about the Green Jacket to the piano music and the driving theme with the view of Magnolia Lane, I am there.

I know the underbelly. I get it. But I suspend any negativity. 

From Bobby Jones and Clifford Roberts founding the tournament to a roster of champions that includes Sarazen to Nelson to Snead to Hogan to Arnie to Jack to Seve and Tiger and Phil and Rahm, I simply enjoy the moment.

Unlike any other.

No comments: