Monday, April 10, 2023

Monday Pain

 

My parents, 1986

It's Monday.

Bah dah...Bah dah dah dah. 

Monday Monday.

Or is it "I don't like Mondays?"

Or is it a "Manic Monday?"

Or "Blue Monday" (either New Order or Fats Domino will do just fine)?

It can be any of those (and more), but that's not really the point.

Somewhere along the line, I picked up a pain in my right hip. To be clear it's like a knife has been put in my right hip.

I'll take a painkiller and probably sleep it off.

But it made me think of my father and the perpetual pain he was in.

His hips. His knees. His legs. His back. All bad.

He needed hip replacement surgery but we lost him before he ever had a chance to have it done.

Of course, now it's a much more common surgery but not as much during his lifetime.

But as my hip stung tonight all I could think of was him.

I simply couldn't imagine the pain he was in. I had no frame of reference. I saw his limp. I saw how uncomfortable he was. I heard him moan in pain. I helped with the pillows that had to be piled into the '78 Chevy Impala just so he could drive.

It was astounding.

The pain was obvious and, given he drove a truck making deliveries of plumbing supplies, it made my admiration for him grow even stronger. He took me out on the road a couple of times and I got to see him work in person. I'll always treasure being able to help him in some small way.

That day-to-day survival taught me a lot about work ethic.

I realize the pain I feel tonight is nothing compared to what he dealt with. 

But it's still where my mind went.

We all wanted him to get the surgery he needed so that he could be pain-free but, as we know, the scriptwriters didn't get that memo.

Life is cruel that way.

*****

Sean and I did one of our trips that people don't necessarily understand and I'm fine with that. 

We went to Wawa. Now, keep in mind, the nearest one is in Lodi, NJ. In normal traffic, it's probably a one-hour ride.

Tonight, of course, it didn't take that. We slogged from White Plains until the New Jersey state line. We each grumbled a little but otherwise made the best of it.

Finally, we placed our order, ate our meal, and each agreed that the traffic (and my hip pain) was worth it.

We laughed at those who are laughing at us. It's just one of those things that are ours. It gets us out of the house for a few hours and makes us happy.

The ride home was a lot easier.

The rest of the week will be loaded with Brunswick baseball, Brunswick lacrosse, the Renegades, and ... drumroll please! ... Greenwich baseball! 

Details to follow. 

No comments: