Saturday, April 22, 2023

Some Days ...

 


It was back to baseball in the right field corner today at Brunswick.

Avon Old Farms -- the Winged Beavers! -- were coming to town.

I arrived in plenty of time to set up before the game.

So the routine is to put my equipment down in "my booth."

Then I walk back to the dugout where I can say hello to head coach Johnny Montanez and anyone else hanging around. I can then get the LocalLive camera and roll the case out to right field.

The case isn't light so rolling it along the grass isn't exactly easy but it's not arduous either.

I put my audio equipment and computer in place and set up the tripod before loading the camera on it.

The last piece is the power cord, followed by the audio cable from my mixer to the camera so that I can be heard on LocalLive.

Except I know the audio input isn't working so nobody would actually hear me on LocalLive. Still, you go through the motions.

That's supposed to be getting fixed.

In the meantime there were a couple of realities:

1) I didn't have a lineup yet for either team and, more importantly ...

2) We didn't have a visiting team as Avon Old Farms had not arrived.

Plus 3) was that we were supposed to get rain so getting the game in was a priority.

But panic was not necessary. I stood out in right field and reviewed some information before a bus turned into the campus.

Game on.

That can often mean things will happen quickly and I need to strike to get lineups.

Coach Montanez walked one over to me. I approached the Avon coaches and they didn't have one ready yet but I had no reason to be concerned.

I had an (accurate) roster that I found online. See how easy that is?

So while it wasn't a smooth broadcast at first it was still effective.

But it wasn't a smooth game either. The Winged Beavers came off the bus hot, taking a brief warmup session and scoring four runs in the top of the first.

The Bruins wouldn't get blasted though, chipping away with two in the third inning.

Down 4-2 in the fourth, Boston Flannery came up with a two-rbi single that tied the game.

It felt like the tide had turned the Bruins were on their way.

But, no.

Funny thing about momentum: it's often meaningless.

The Beavers answered with two baserunners to start the fifth before a three-run home run to left cleared the bases.

Avon 7, Brunswick 4.

They'd add two more in the sixth and coast into the bottom of the seventh. The Bruins strung a few things together and put one more run on the board to end the day at 9-5.


Not only was it just one of those days but it was one of those weeks. I've covered Brunswick since I was a board operator and studio host on WGCH back in 1999.

I've consistently called their games since 2016.

I've never seen a week like this in which both lacrosse and baseball lost at home -- with the baseball squad losing twice on home turf. They also dropped a contest on Friday at St. Luke's.

I mean, what's going on here?

In truth, not much.

Look, it's simply a question of execution and both teams are talented. Things happen and they have talented coaches who will fix things. Also, lacrosse beat Hotchkiss today, so all is well.

You shake today off, burn the tapes, and get back to it tomorrow.

I'll see the Bruins again on Tuesday at home against King.

No comments: