Tuesday, April 25, 2023

2.5 Hours

 


The last out had been recorded and the teams were huddled up.

The shadows were racing across the field as the sun was tired.

Brunswick 11, King 4.

On the air, I did a brief recap and tallied the final numbers. Baseball is still the biggest numbers game of them all.

Runs. Hits. Errors. Left on base. Time of game. Pitching lines: number, of pitches, innings pitched, runs, earned runs, hits, walks, strikeouts, hit batters, wild pitches.

I tore through most of it, ran the theme song, promoted the next broadcast (Hill Academy/Brunswick lacrosse tomorrow at 4 p.m.), and said goodnight.

Then packup began. Brunswick baseball is probably the most setting up and breaking down I do for any game. I make a couple of trips from my spot in right field to the third base dugout to drop off my audio equipment. But I also have to drag the case with the LocalLive camera out as well as the tripod. Then I have to come back for the lineups and talk to coaches.

Setup, call game, break it all down.

Then put it all back.

But as I prepared to walk back to the dugout after the game ended, I noticed I was, basically, alone.

Both teams were gone. Coaches, players, fans, families.

Just me.

Most of the parking lot had emptied out as well.

The only thing I could figure out was that this game had been a bit of a slog. Nine pitchers made their way to the mound this afternoon and there were a few pitching changes in the middle of the inning. Plus multiple walks and strikeouts and 15 runs all add up to a 2.5-hour game over six-and-a-half innings.

Thus, when it was over, nobody felt like hanging around. Very few were even in the parking lot by the time I made my way to my car.

And this was without a pitch clock.

But the game still moved along. I didn't long for time to tell stories but, then again, when a game keeps moving, it keeps me from feeling like I'm droning on. Thus everyone wins.

To be clear, I wasn't upset that I was the last at the field. Quite the opposite. I laughed at it and I'm kind of used to it. Beyond that, I love the peace of the empty or quiet arena. I've sat in press areas at a game after it has ended stay a bit longer and chill out. I've say and watched games after mine has ended to stay even longer.

I use the time to get the energy back to drive as most of the adrenaline has drained out of my body.

In this case, I needed to get home. Despite being 21 and taking care of himself, there's still a son who has all but moved in with me full-time (don't get me started about why) and we needed to deal with dinner.

Lacrosse tomorrow. Oh, and a podcast. And "The Clubhouse."

More Thursday and, well, basically every day.

It's a good and exhausting time of year so the peace of a quiet field was worth it.

No comments: