Thursday, April 06, 2023

I Don’t Want to Spoil the Party

 

Michael Scott wasn't invited to Jim's party.
Ultimately, he just showed up (The Office).

I was probably five when a kid I knew had a birthday party.

I thought I'd be going but there was just one problem: I wasn't invited. My poor mother had to explain the concept to me.

Sometimes, for reasons outside of your own doing, you're just not invited to the party.

It can be political. It can be financial. It can be personal.

Sometimes it's a complete slant. It's a shot. Yet, other times, it's something a little different. It's revenge or some other nefarious reason.

But it happens and, as such, there's not a whole lot that can be done.

Oh, you're justified to be hurt, confused, disappointed, frustrated, annoyed, and perhaps mad. You're also justified to simply sit back, shrug your shoulders and say, "Screw it. I didn't want to go anyway."

But you know you should be there. You deserve to be there. Yet it's simply out of your control.

So, shake your head, order some takeout, pop the TV on, and enjoy your night.

Or take a ride. Go somewhere.

Oh, it definitely hurts sometimes. It will gnaw at you because, even if you get an answer, it will never be sufficient.

This happens. It happens everywhere. It happens with wedding invitations and anniversaries and business gatherings and even stretching to business opportunities.

And five-year-old birthday parties.

In the end, it's best to let it just roll off. Yes, there might be a sting. Yes, it might have been personal. But it also could've been nothing more than an oversight.

So put your feet up and take the night off.

And prepare for tomorrow.

No comments: