Wednesday, April 05, 2023

Folding the Clothes

 


I just got home a few minutes ago. 

Oh, right. The laundry was finished and in the dryer.

Fold the boxers and briefs and whatever else there is to resolve.

Leave Sean his clothes and put mine away.

Done.

So ends the day.

There was a trip to return the power cable that I bought incorrectly. There was also lunch.

And the story of Kenneth Bateman and his ongoing investigation. Officer Bateman was murdered at the very same Duchess that still stands near Interstate 95's Exit 13. Oh, and the investigation is still ongoing -- nearly 42 years later.

And you know what? I've never once mentioned that Susan had a very close friend who died in the Watts Street Fire back in March 1994. I figured it was her story and while I've thought about mentioning him, I always felt that was for her to do. I mentioned that to her last week when the anniversary of his passing went by and she said she'd be honored to have his name mentioned here. So, Firefighter Christopher Siedenburg, I've tried to look after your friend since basically the day I met her. Thank you for your service and bravery. 

He was 25.

Life isn't fair and is far too complicated.

The day wasn't all heavy. I had a really great conversation with a fellow Connecticut broadcaster. He wanted to pick my brain about something and I was happy to help. To be honest, someone wrote online about "jealousy and hatred" regarding another broadcaster and it infuriated me. In truth, I love supporting fellow "voices" who are trying to find their way in this tough business.

Whatever perceived "jealousy" is normally a result of frustration at those who don't move our business forward. They're too narcissistic to care about anything but themselves. So when I get called "a gatekeeper," yeah, I sure am.

Why? Because I'm protective of this business. I see how it's going. I see how it's leaking any semblance of quality and good reporting.

But, in the end, there's not much I can do. So, jealousy? No, sir, and thanks for judging.

Enough about that.

I didn't do "Doubleheader" today since the Red Sox pre-empted me. I spent the time watching The Weather Channel and prepping for other things. "The Clubhouse" followed at 7 p.m. and we had a lovely time.

Lots of laughs and so on in Mount Kisco as we talked about sports and solved world problems. It was also wonderful to see my good friend Dave Torromeo. 

On the other hand, I'm not so sure my plan for coverage of Greenwich baseball and softball is going to work out. It might instead move to Robcasting but I'll figure that out.

I eventually drove home and am rattling off these very non-profound thoughts.

Other than the acknowledgment of two heroes. That, on the other hand, is overdue.

We move to Thursday.

Hopefully less heavy than today.


No comments: