Thursday, March 10, 2022

So...Yay?

 


Baseball is back and, currently, I don't care.

I'm ambivalent at best.

Maybe it's the tweets.

Maybe it's the way that those in charge are desperate to crap away the very soul of the sport. 

Maybe it's the stupid swoosh on the uniform or the enlargement of the bases or simply that they're all -- every single last one of them -- money and power-hungry egomaniacs.

I'm not done with the sport. Oh, not even slightly. I'm 16 days out from seeing Brunswick and whomever else wants my voice on their broadcasts, assuming I'm not some rank amateur broadcaster and, yeah, my confidence has been shredded on that topic but why waste time with my own mental health, amirite?

No, I still very much love the game but I'm straight up furious with those in charge. 

Rob Manfred.

Tony Clark.

Max Scherzer.

Scott Boras.

Etc.

Etc.

And so on.

The game is in the wrong hands. It's lost, damaged, corroded.

You've had a pitch clock. Now we're suddenly going to enforce it? That's going to make games shorter? I thought it was that pitchers needed to face a minimum three batters or that so many visits to the mound are allowed?

Spare me.

You want new faces watching? You want younger fans? Court them. Get out there. Do community outreach.

So, today, while so many are foolishly doing the happy dance, blindly returning like lemmings to MLB, I'm sitting here with an overall feeling of "meh."

Me.

No, the 99 days of lockout were embarrassing. The owners had weeks and didn't meet with the players. The commissioner doesn't remotely care about the spot. But the players had chances to accept before today and they didn't.

So pardon me if I take my own sweet time coming back. Maybe for 99 days I won't wear any MLB merchandise. Normally I'd be all over taking a Yankees hat to London to show off my pride.

Maybe now I won't.

Maybe I won't watch Opening Day.

Maybe I'll cancel the Yes Network.

Maybe I'm just tired of being fooled after every single work stoppage. 

This game doesn't care a blip about me. Certainly not at the top levels

Why -- explain it to me -- why I should care about it?

I'll probably be back but, tonight, I'm struggling.

No comments: