Saturday, March 19, 2022

Sick Saturday

 


OK, I'm phoning it in tonight.

A head cold has me all plugged up so I spent a very quiet day at home. I slept some, watched a lot of basketball, and am now watching hockey.

I'll bounce between Rangers/Lightning and whatever NCAA game grabs me.

I resisted any urges to do anything else. I stayed true to mostly mentally checking out.

And that's what I'm doing tonight.

This is my body's way of saying, "Dude. You've given it your all but you need a break."

Does that mean I couldn't have done a game/games today?

Have we met?

I remember a few times I slammed into a metaphorical wall during the crazy HAN days. I had one cold (sort of like this one) that just sat in my throat and impacted my voice. I felt it was best for me to step back. so I did 

Yet, let's be honest, I could have done it. The truth is I often forced myself to take a break, especially when it came to doing something right like anything related to Sean. I remember one time where we did two games but I stepped away from the third that day to join my family for dinner to celebrate Sean's birthday.

So, yes, I try to do the right thing. There have also been a few times (very few, in fact, I can really only think of once or twice) where I was told to get lost and take a break. You better believe I didn't like it.

My body, which has hung in really since mid-February, got to the end of the Hunt Scanlon conference in New York on Wednesday and called a time out.

I can tell you that I felt utterly exhausted during the first game Monday night when Kobe Cathedral beat Berlin. I felt like I was making myriad mistakes. I kept waiting to read how Kolbe and Berlin were tipping me. 

Then came the nightcap and you probably know what happened: Fairfield Prep won at the buzzer and things went viral.

So these are the days for me to recuperate before next Saturday when Belmont Hill shows up at Brunswick for a baseball doubleheader.

I'll call as many of the baseball and lacrosse games -- home and, yes, away -- as I can. 

There will be a slate of games that I'll miss to go to London and while that doesn't thrill me, I'm fairly hopeful Sean Kilklelly will step in for me. That's a goal for me at Brunswick. I'd like to develop a stable of support and I asked Sean to see if he was interested. He was and he'll be great.

I will try to not listen from 3,600 miles away and five hours ahead.

I said, "try."

It will be a fascinating spring, no question.

(And no, I still don't have a place to live yet)

Oh, and while I've been enjoying the NCAA tourney, I can tell you that I don't remotely care about my brackets anymore. I've lost too much (and I'm not invested in any pools) to care about anything other than great games.

Assuming he doesn't want me to stay away, I'll co-host Poughkeepsie Nissan Sunday Sports with Zolz tomorrow at noon on Z-93. 

No comments: