Friday, March 04, 2022

AC Insanity

 


ATLANTIC CITY, NJ -- Chris Erway is basically asleep.

OK, he's not. He popped in earbuds and is watching something on his phone.

So ends our wild night in Atlantic City.

We came, we saw, we conquered.

No, really. We did what we had to do and are wiped out.

I pulled into Atlantic City and checked into the fabulous Courtyard by Marriott around 1:30 this afternoon after a draining drive that took honestly more time than it should have.

But I had Wawa, so it was all good.

AC is...well...AC. I was last here in 2001 and never got out of the car. I saw it, went back to the hotel outside of town, and was gone in the morning.

As for today, I did get to stroll the boardwalk on a cold March day but it was good exercise and now I can say I did it.

Still, I kept looking over my shoulder; a sad reality in such a place in 2022.


Chris soon came into town and we went to Boardwalk Hall -- the site of the Miss America pageant and a Beatles concert, as well as the 1964 Liberty Bowl (yes, really) -- where we called the New Jersey individual wrestling finals.

Oh, and I learned that I'll never be popular in Phillipsburg, NJ. In fact, NO broadcaster will. So despite how proud I was of my call of their team championship back in February, we once again learn that you can't please everyone. 

Chris and I barreled through the wrestling broadcast, packed up, and grabbed dinner.

Just checking, silverware and napkins should be a standard part of a dinner setup, right?

OK, cool.

We strolled through the Tropicana, Chris made me regret not having him some money down on roulette for me, and our wild night concluded as we sped through the mean streets of AC back to the hotel room.

In other words, I stopped at literally every traffic light, we found a place to park and came back to the room.

OK, I guess I should level with you. There was some decadence. I don't know how to admit this but...we had Mrs. Fields Cookies. While Chris got a chocolate chip masterpiece, I reminded him how I am the most vanilla person ever by getting (yes, really) a butter sugar cookie. 

Well...two.

And tomorrow, I'll head to...

drumroll...

Brunswick, where I'll call the New England semifinal hockey game. 

Then I guess I'll go home.

Does what happened in AC stay in AC?

In this case, there are no stories to tell.

So they can stay here anyway.

Keep 'em.

No comments: